Password protected sections (restricted)

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
disconnect

Password protected sections (restricted)

Post by disconnect » Wed May 24, 2006 8:08 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with setting up a password protected section of my forums. I have seen this on other phpbb forums so i know it exsists. I checked through the ACP and I dont see any options regarding this. When I go into permissions and look up a thread, i see the options;

Public
Registered
Registered (hidden)
Private
Private (hidden)
Moderator (hidden)

Currently I have the section set up as private (hidden) and then I gave each person access to see it via the user accout management. because none of the above mentioned options seem to offer the option of a password. It would really be a lot easier if I could just set it up with a password though..

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

jwunderly

Re: Password protected sections (restricted)

Post by jwunderly » Thu May 25, 2006 2:06 pm

disconnect wrote: Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with setting up a password protected section of my forums. I have seen this on other phpbb forums so i know it exsists. I checked through the ACP and I dont see any options regarding this. When I go into permissions and look up a thread, i see the options;

Public
Registered
Registered (hidden)
Private
Private (hidden)
Moderator (hidden)

Currently I have the section set up as private (hidden) and then I gave each person access to see it via the user accout management. because none of the above mentioned options seem to offer the option of a password. It would really be a lot easier if I could just set it up with a password though..

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1. Create a usergroup for the "restricted" forum
2. Grant the appropriate privs for that forum to the new usergroup.
3. Add users to the new usergroup.
John (A cranky old man. "Looking for an echo ...")
using any control-panel install/update is like shooting yourself in the foot. It won't kill you, but you're really going to hobble around until it heals.
Using the wrong tools (Front Page, DreamWeaver) gives the same results
Do not PM me for Support!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”