Nesting forum in scrolling website

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
BFowler

Nesting forum in scrolling website

Post by BFowler » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:42 am

Hello,

I am trying to nest my forum in my website and am having problems. I'm not new to phpbb, but I am new to doing this particular thing. I don't know if this is something you guys will help with or not though.

I have tried modifying the template header, footer and index body to disasterous results:

http://www.brantfowler.com/forums/

What I want it to do is be encapsulated within this:

http://www.brantfowler.com/New2/index.html

To where it will scroll within the header and footer and I'm not sure how to go about it. Any help you all could give me would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

BFowler

Post by BFowler » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:47 am

Oh, I'm using the softmetal template, but if you explain it in subsilver I'm sure there's not much difference.

BFowler

Post by BFowler » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:02 pm

Bump to get it off of page 4! Seriously, if this isn't the right place to ask just tell me. I just need to find help with it somewhere. Thanks.

hotrocket

Post by hotrocket » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:13 pm

so you want the header and footer of your site to remain static..and the forum to scroll in the space between?

the simple way is to display the forum in an IFrame..but there are issues with doing this if you require the members to be logged in to use the forum/site but it will work.

The other issue is you will still have the header and footer of the forum displayed within that frame as well..so you may want remove the logo image and just leave the forum navigation.

There are other options but you really need to know PHP and it would probably require you to redesign the current site you have.

if you need help with the IFrame do a search here for "display forum in IFrame" you will see quite a few topics on this.

good luck

BFowler

Post by BFowler » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:37 pm

Thanks, but I'm trying to avoid frames like the plague! They have so many problems. I've figured a way to make a scrolling table with CSS, so I'm hoping to figure out a way to place the forum within that table. If not I'll just use the website header and leave it at that. Thanks!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”