"Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections "

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
disconnect

"Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections "

Post by disconnect » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:03 pm

Your phpBB board URL: http://www.wmd-clan.com/forum
Template(s) used: NoseBleed
Any and all MODs: PhotoAlbum, Spellchecker, Calendarlite, shoutbox
Do you use a port of phpBB: No
Version of phpBB: 2.0.21 i think
Version of PHP: 4.4.1
Which database server and version: mySQL 4.0.27-standard
Host: Bluecapacity
Did someone install this for you/who: no
Is this an upgrade/from what to what: no
Is this a conversion/from what to what: no
Have you searched for your problem: yes
If so, what terms did you try: "too many connecttions"
State the nature of your problem: See Below
Do you have a test account for us: no

Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone out there may be able to help me with this. All of the sudden, I am getting the following errors. I really don't know where they came from. I did some research on the net but everything seems to be aimed at php authors... which I am not

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/wmdzcla/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/wmdzcla/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/wmdzcla/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Chris

espicom

Post by espicom » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:15 pm

Your host has not configured MySQL to handle as many connections as the web server can throw its way. When too many people ask for pages at the same time, MySQL can hit its limit (default 100) of simultaneous connections, and rejects any additional until it completes those it is working on.

It's something only your host can deal with, either by raising the connection limit on MySQL, or limiting the number of web connections to keep the web server from getting to that point. Browsers can deal with web connection time-outs or refusals "transparently", but PHPBB doesn't like not being able to get through to pull information from the database...
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

disconnect

Post by disconnect » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:20 pm

thanks for the quick reply!

Earlier today I noticed my website going down a few times, do you think this could have affected it? Perhaps caused a bunch of dead or idle connections to the forum?

disconnect

Post by disconnect » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:27 pm

IT seems to be working again, i will open a ticket with my host anyway. Id hate to see this error again. forums were down for about an hour

thanks again :)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”