Having Issues Editing /language/language_main.php

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
3d0

Having Issues Editing /language/language_main.php

Post by 3d0 »

Hi, I'm trying to edit my language_main.php file to suit my needs(I've changed only the text for the registration form) and for some reason everytime I edit it now it gives me this giant mess of SQl Paresing errors on top of my forum, as well as not displaying any text whatsoever.

I had previous mods Birthday and Online/Offline Mod installed before in this file, but they worked perfect until I edited that registration text. Also, I have edited this twice in a row after seeing some changes I wanted, and only after the second time did it display the errors.

Now I can't edit anything at all, and all I have is a vanilla install of language_main.php

Please help!
An Phpbb Support Dude--PM me for help.
Join the Clan:http://www.thedaetclan.tk

Now Testing:Phpbb 3.0 Beta
Etherfast

Post by Etherfast »

Hello, 3d0

First of all, are you sure the syntax is correct for the lines you modified?
It should be like:

Code: Select all

$lang['parameter'] = 'desired-content';
Note the brackets, the 's and the ";".

The language file is just something that copies the right side of the statement to the place where the first part of the statement is called in the template file (I guess)

Why don't you start with a fresh copy? Or at least paste us the code sequence where the parser encounters errors.

All the best,
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

In the text that you have added, don't use an apostrope (it'll really mes it up). Instead use \'

eg That\'s all folks

Also don't use a hard return. Write it all in one line and use <br> to drop a line down.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
3d0

Post by 3d0 »

Well, I used EasyMOD to install both the birthday mod and the online/offline mod. Both worked seamlessly. I edited the Registration part(the part where when you register it gives you the ageement terms, etc.)

I did that TWICE and made sure everything was just fine...nothing happned. But then I noticed a few spelling errors so I went to fix it...

and that's when I got the errors. So I did a fresh copy, and it fixed it. Then I reput in the stuff for the mods where it was supposed to go, and it gave me the errors again...

I've never had anything like this happen before, and I'm not sure at ALL what could be causing it.
An Phpbb Support Dude--PM me for help.
Join the Clan:http://www.thedaetclan.tk

Now Testing:Phpbb 3.0 Beta
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Maybe if you showed us what it's adding it might help.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”