500 Internal Server Error!

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
pengunio

Post by pengunio » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:25 am

i had the exact same problem and its godaddy problem. Turns out when u make a post it "email" the board telling of the changes, and apparently godaddy has some email restriction

Anyway i forget the exact fix but i gaurantee it is with your mailer.php

if u need me to uplaod mine i will so you can test if it works

espicom

Post by espicom » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:14 pm

If it is the "Godaddy email problem", they have a page explaining how to establish an acceptable email address for relaying. As I recall, it involves a page you have to visit to register the from address, then a change you have to make to the .htaccess file to set it correctly.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

BloodyBunnies

Post by BloodyBunnies » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:24 pm

This only happens posting a reply. everything else works fine.

espicom

Post by espicom » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:35 pm

On an unmodified board, the only time an email message would be generated is on a reply to a topic that someone is "watching". If the problem is with email, the reply would be posted, but the attempt to send mail afterwards would blow up. And any topics that aren't being watched for replies would never have the problem.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP

BloodyBunnies

Post by BloodyBunnies » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:39 pm

Ok so if Account_A is watching Topic1 and Account_B is not, but Account_B posts a reply they get an internal server error because Account_A is watching it and the email errors being generated?

espicom

Post by espicom » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:25 pm

Yes, that's pretty much it. If A is watching, they'd never see the error, because no message is generated for their posts. And if B replies, then C, D, E, and F reply, if A doesn't visit the topic in between, only B would see the error (only one notification generated per read of the topic by A).

An unfriendly way to test this (because it clears all watches) is to truncate (empty) the topics_watch table... if the ISE500s disappear, it's probably the email generating the problem.

Or, less unfriendly, open includes/functions_post.php, and find:

Code: Select all

$emailer->send();
Replace it with:

Code: Select all

//						$emailer->send();
This disables the actual send portion of the email notification, without affecting anything else, and is easier to reverse than emptying the watch table... :wink:
Jeff

XiXiDu

Post by XiXiDu » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:21 pm

I'm having exactly the same problem it seems.

espicom you said:
If it is the "Godaddy email problem", they have a page explaining how to establish an acceptable email address for relaying. As I recall, it involves a page you have to visit to register the from address, then a change you have to make to the .htaccess file to set it correctly.

Any idea on where to find that? Also, the problem should disappear when using the Email Settings, right?

And to pengunio, what have you changed in your mailer.php? Do you remember now :) ?

BloodyBunnies

Post by BloodyBunnies » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:23 pm

I took off Notify me of replies from all my topics and out of my profile and tested again with 3 users and none recieved an error.

XiXiDu

Post by XiXiDu » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:30 pm

Well, there must be a way to fix this without disabling e-mail notifications. Do you really think they cause the error? Why do I receive the notifications then anyways?

BloodyBunnies

Post by BloodyBunnies » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:32 pm

I recieved them but the user would see "ISE500" the email saying they posted still gets sent.

XiXiDu

Post by XiXiDu » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:54 pm

I know, I'm trying to understand how the way GoDaddy set up their servers causes this error to occur.

Jblack4083

Post by Jblack4083 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:03 pm

I get the same error. I tried the // thing that they suggested above and it seems to be working. WHat is a permanent fix to this though?

XiXiDu

Post by XiXiDu » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:24 am

Doesn't it have something to do with the PHP configuration? You can edit the php.ini at GoDaddy yourself...

Would be really great if anyone here who got more knowledge could enlighten us on what exactly could be the problem with GoDadday that sending e-mail notifications causes an internal server error but doesn't stop the post from getting posted or the e-mail from being send anyways.

There must be a way to solve this problem besides turning off e-mail notifications completely!

XiXiDu

Post by XiXiDu » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:54 am

GoDaddy support just gave me this reply:
Support Staff Response
Dear Ruediger Kruel,
Thank you for contacting customer support. Upon researching this issue, it seems that this is a known issue for their software, and has been since December of 2005. Please refer to the following link in which one of the developers posted a notice:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=248456

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns by email or via phone at (480)505-8877.

Thank You

In that topic it talks about posts that contain the words "mail" or "form" followed directly by a space. I tested it and that isn't the problem with GoDaddy.

espicom

Post by espicom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:09 pm

Thank you for contacting customer support. Upon researching this issue, it seems that this is a known issue for their software, and has been since December of 2005. Please refer to the following link in which one of the developers posted a notice:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=248456

That's not an issue with PHPBB - that's an issue with GODADDY's software, and the person posting it isn't "one of the developers". A more helpful link (which I found by searching here for "godaddy mail") is http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 15#2119615 , which details a couple of workarounds for GODADDY's configuration problems.
Jeff

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”