Login users automatically using server login

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
mbenz1

Login users automatically using server login

Post by mbenz1 »

I am trying to find a solution to this problem. i currently run a server where login details are stored in .htpasswd file for the restricted area.

this works but i am trying to get it to log users into the forum using this method also, i.e so they only need to log in once.

anybody got a soultion please

thanks

Ben

morestuff

Post by morestuff »

best and easiest thing to do is to switch over to the phpbb login system

mbenz1

Post by mbenz1 »

Do you mean the normal login system?, that is what im using at the mo.

just the company i work for has an intranet which users log into therefor dont want the users to have to log in to 2 seperate systems,

any ideas?

thanks

morestuff

Post by morestuff »

mbenz1 wrote: Do you mean the normal login system?, that is what im using at the mo.

just the company i work for has an intranet which users log into therefor dont want the users to have to log in to 2 seperate systems,

any ideas?

thanks

I don't know of anyway to combine a htpassword system with the phpbb system to do this.

you can combine any type of authorization system that uses a database with the one that phpbb uses, but the htaccess/htpassword system has no database of username/password combinations to merge with

bill091173

Post by bill091173 »

Only way I can think of to possibly combine the 2 would be through php. If it is possible to pass the htpasswd through a URL parameter, both logins could be done through same php script (would still be separate logins technically speaking).

mw-dnb

Post by mw-dnb »

its not possible .htpassword is above the php stack. before php can even execute .htpassword will.

meaning, even if you had these users/pass's in .htpassword, its going to prompt people before they ever get to phpbb.

.htpassword doesn't create any type of session or cookie that can be used with php / phpbb.
The brighest light burns out the quickest and you burn so very bright.
www.elementsofbass.com | For the breakbeat hardcore

mbenz1

Post by mbenz1 »

Ok thanks

madsk

Post by madsk »

I kind of have the same problem,

I have a members site, and obviously people have to log in before they get to the members area.

My forum is located in the members area. Is there a way for phpbb to use the same L/P as was used in .htpasswd?

It's kind of annoying for members having to "register" again in my forum once they've already registered for my member's area....

Any tip? Thanks :D

rmayer

Post by rmayer »

I am in a very similar situation, except my users authenticate with Active Directory on our intranet environment. It would be really good to hear from you if you ever came up with a solution ... It's a pity PHpBB doesn`t offer an administrational option to choose your own login method.

TCOB1

Post by TCOB1 »

We website currently uses phpBB and is bridged to Coppermine so there is only one login. I am now adding a document management program (OWL Intranet). All operate under MySql, but can add the phpbb login to the Owl.

Glen

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”