Help with installation

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
mypreneur

Help with installation

Post by mypreneur » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:08 pm

I am trying to install phpbb2 but seem to having some trouble. At the first installation page (when I type in www.yourdomain.com/forum/install/install.php, obviously I used my own domain), it keeps telling me that my passwords don't match. I am pretty sure that they do cuz I've retyped them like 10 times. What could the problem be?
Thanks in advance.
Ryan

GreyDogz

Post by GreyDogz » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:13 pm

It shouldn't ask you for a username/password until after you complete the install and delete the install and contrib directories.

Can you include a link so we can see what's up?

espicom

Post by espicom » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:15 pm

The password check is case sensitive, so "Password" and "password" are different. When dealing with complex (as in more secure) passwords, I like to take advantage of cut and paste, to make sure both copies are the same.

Assuming that's not what is happening, though, some additional information will be needed, like what kind of server are you using? Have you tried it with different browsers?
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

MikeR2k6

Post by MikeR2k6 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:19 pm

i think he means when you have to type and re-type an admin password.

it must work if they're typed exact. what you can do is type the password into notepad, then copy and paste it into the password fields. if this doesn't work, there's probably a problem with the file

mypreneur

Post by mypreneur » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:25 pm

Here's the screen I'm getting: http://entrenews.com/forum/install/install.php
I took out the info for privacy issues. Also, after viewing the flash installation tutorial, it shows that it will ask for a username/password before you delete the contrib/install files.
I've been sure to be case sensitive with the passwords. Do you suppose Internet explorer is the culprit?

mypreneur

Post by mypreneur » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:29 pm

I am hosting through godaddy.com. I think they use hostingmanager.secureserver.net.

GreyDogz

Post by GreyDogz » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:58 pm

morestuff

Post by morestuff » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:22 am

you may not get this to work on godaddy's free account.

first you have to get a mysql database, do you have that and the correct info for it?

then I still do not know what password you are talking about.

on the install page, the only password you have to worry about is for the admin account and and you are creating that when you type it into the box.

if you are getting an error about the password not matching for that, then you are simply not typing it in the same way both times.

mypreneur

Post by mypreneur » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:27 am

Ok, I'm not getting the password problem anymore. But when I click "start install" it gives me this message:
Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysqladmin2.secureserver.net' (111) in /home/content/e/n/t/entrenews/html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/content/e/n/t/entrenews/html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/content/e/n/t/entrenews/html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
Any advice?

amir abbas

Post by amir abbas » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:10 am

database information is not correct again
check:

database name
database password
database username
database host

Vannity

Post by Vannity » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:44 am

I just had the same thing....if you made your DB and your users for the accounts make sure you give the user rights to the DB..make sense?

I made DB 1
I made USER 1

then tried to install.
no go got your error message.
upon further digging I relized I didn't give USER1 access to DB1

there thats a little more easy to understand!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”