Renaming/changing DB names

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
curtis_henken

Renaming/changing DB names

Post by curtis_henken »

Ok, i have to switch hosting companies and the new host won't let me setup a DB with the same name i use for my board. Is there anyway to restore a backup of my boards DB to another DB without the same name? Or can i change my current one, then restore the backup under that name on my new server?

If you guys have any suggestion on how to make this go smoothly, would very much appreciate it!

Thanks guys!

Curtis

mw-dnb

Post by mw-dnb »

open up the phpbb config, look for the database information (server/user/pass/db) and update it. job done.
The brighest light burns out the quickest and you burn so very bright.
www.elementsofbass.com | For the breakbeat hardcore

curtis_henken

Post by curtis_henken »

Maybe i'm not saying this right...

Ok, you have server "a" and server "b".

A. Database name for board is "phpbb".

B. Database name for board has to be something else, let's say "board".

How do i backup "phpbb" on server "a", and install/restore it as "board" on server "b"?

I'm learning MySQL, i am not very far, i really need some help on this one. The forum needs to be back up by the end of the week.

Thanks guys!

MikeR2k6

Post by MikeR2k6 »

all you have to change is the config file. if i remember correctly, the database name is not recorded on the backup, so you can run the restore on another database no problem. just update the config file to point to the new database

morestuff

Post by morestuff »

when restoring a database over another one, the names do not matter in the least.

it does not look for the database name and does not know what it is.

this is not your problem.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”