How to best clear out spammers?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
guspasho

How to best clear out spammers?

Post by guspasho »

Like many other phpBB boards, my board is plagued with spammers and bots. I am currently in the process of trying to update my phpBB board to the current version and implement a few anti-spammer measures.

For now, when a spammer is identified, the user is banned. However, this clutters up my banlist severely, and I prefer to use it to keep track of real users who have been banned for bad behavior, but that is difficult to do when most banned users are bots. I have been reticent to delete the bots, though I realize I'm not really sure why. I heard once from an administrator of another type of board (vB, I think) that deleting users can create holes in the database and cause problems. I don't know what this means but I wonder if it matters in the case of users whose posts and whose topics will not be missed.

How do other administrators handle the spammers and bots? Just delete them and get them out of the memberlist - or is there any reason not to?

Thanks.
Portland's Anime Convention, Labor Day weekend, http://www.kumoricon.com
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

as long as you delete them properly and not directly via phpmyadmin or a sql query there is no reason not to emove them. This tool will also allow you to remove them Admin Toolkit You might want to read this topic to on combating the spam bots Preventing SPAM - Bots and Humans
guspasho

Post by guspasho »

Good to know! Thanks!
Portland's Anime Convention, Labor Day weekend, http://www.kumoricon.com

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”