Forum running slow

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Kev_Dawg

Forum running slow

Post by Kev_Dawg »

Hi, it seems my forum now is running slow for some odd reason, is there any way to fix this problem at all? My other forum runs real fast, but it seems this PHPBB forum is running slow and I have no idea why.

Funk Theory

Post by Funk Theory »

Are they all on the same host and what size is the database?

Kev_Dawg

Post by Kev_Dawg »

Funk Theory wrote: Are they all on the same host and what size is the database?

Well it wasn't a problem before though, this just happened when I had a problem with my forum and then reinstalled it. I cleaned out all the files in the folder oh my PHPBB fourm, then installed it back. I go to the admin center for my PHPBB forum and this is what it says.

Board started: 06 Oct 2006 04:50 am Avatar directory size: 54.25 KB
Database size: 1.16 MB Gzip compression: OFF

Funk Theory

Post by Funk Theory »

Well it looks ok. Maybe try reinstalling it again (back it up first) or then contact your host. Plus is it just slow with you or all your users.

Kev_Dawg

Post by Kev_Dawg »

What can I do to speed up the forum, like it's real slow and it's so uncomfortable.

Kev_Dawg

Post by Kev_Dawg »

Funk Theory wrote: Well it looks ok. Maybe try reinstalling it again (back it up first) or then contact your host. Plus is it just slow with you or all your users.

I have only 3 users lol, it's just that this forum is running slow, it never did before till now, my other forum is running like a dream.

Kev_Dawg

Post by Kev_Dawg »

If I were to reinstall it, what exactly should I backup so I can keep my users and boards?

Funk Theory

Post by Funk Theory »

Why did you reinstall it? Were you having problems?

You must backup the database correctly or you will lose the data. Im not convinced a reinstall will fix it anyway. Ask your host to look into it first.

Kev_Dawg

Post by Kev_Dawg »

Funk Theory wrote: Why did you reinstall it? Were you having problems?

You must backup the database correctly or you will lose the data. Im not convinced a reinstall will fix it anyway. Ask your host to look into it first.

The host is me, the thing I do not under like I said above is that my other forum that I am running runs smooth, this one doesn't. If I reinstall, I go to the admin center and click on backup database, do I keep it on full back and make the backup? There is some GZIP option to pick, but I guess you don't need that cause it's not selected?

Funk Theory

Post by Funk Theory »

If youre using phpmyadmin try this:

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=59

Kev_Dawg

Post by Kev_Dawg »

bump
Last edited by Kev_Dawg on Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kev_Dawg

Post by Kev_Dawg »

I got PHPmyadmin to work, also backed up my database to my hard drive. Now with it backed up, if something goes wrong again then I just restore the backup file I made and all the boards and topics and users come back?

Funk Theory

Post by Funk Theory »

Kev_Dawg wrote: I got PHPmyadmin to work, also backed up my database to my hard drive. Now with it backed up, if something goes wrong again then I just restore the backup file I made and all the boards and topics and users come back?

I dont know the answer to your port question.

With regards to your backup, yes you should find it should work. If you followed the article and make sure you ticked the drop table box (NOT DROP TABLES), it should restore ok, always worked for me.

Kev_Dawg

Post by Kev_Dawg »

Hm, so then how would I would change the style colours and etc now if it does not work? What else is there for me to do, cause this is confusing me more, it said extremestyles installed properly.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”