BAD LAYOUT

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Scott Perkins

BAD LAYOUT

Post by Scott Perkins »

This is my first look at ver 2
but right away with my bad eyes
the font is too small to read.

There is an excess of white space
all over and the text is scrunched
down. This is the most fundamental rule for any program.
the people have to be able to read
the messages !

Also, why is the little input box so damn narrow and take up only
a third of my screen in width with
so much white space on the side ?

Whats with that ? Please take a cue from the world of word processors since they are the kings of message making. Need to make the input box as wide as is possible to do.

oh BTW, I am using 800x600 setup
on 17 inch monitor. I think that
is pretty universal now.
email me at mailto:2scott@bellsouth.net

Ewald

Post by Ewald »

wtf?
change it if you don't like it...
that's what templates are for...

regards,
Ewald :wink:

xshredx

Post by xshredx »

tip: go buy some glasses...

i have no problem reading stuff... and 2: if you set up a board, you can customise all that!

cc chris f
Location: UK [England] (Surrey) (i can not help the way i spell)

Post by cc chris f »

hmmmmm do you have IE set on samll txt or Big txt

that may help

ok be nice bit over
you if you set the forum up and mack it look how you like it!

i runing it on a 1280x1024 and 2nd pc in this house is a
1600x1200 bouth are 17'

and i can read it easy at pie =)
CC Chris F

subBlue
Former Team Member

Post by subBlue »

Which browser and OS are you using? I know that some versions of Netscape 4 on Linux display font sizes incorrectly (whether it's a linux or NS problem i don't know).

I think there must be something wrong with your setup as we have had no similar complaints in the few months that this design has been around.

CLee

Post by CLee »

I'm just wondering what screen resolution he is running under. Everything looks great in 800x600, but I do know what higher resolutions tends to f*** up the layout.

Carlos

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

800 * 600 on a 17" monitor definitely isn't universal, 1024 * 768 on a 17" monitor is more typical, heck I can't stand 800 * 600 on a 15" monitor :D

Scott Perkins

Post by Scott Perkins »

As long as the font sizes can be changed for each setup it is no big deal. Truth be told there
is a big deal of difference among
age groups as I bet the average age here is under thirty. But still readability is readability
everywhere. It so happens that most members of my club are older
than 45. All you youngsters can
look forward to deterioriating eyesight as it is inevitable. However to be objective, the fonts
here are noticably smaller than on
the regular PHPBB site so something is different. I am using Netscape 4 on Windows.
My real point is WHY WASTE WHITE SPACE. USE IT. you can either clutter up the screen or make characters larger. Tell the truth
when you take a quick look at any
screen dont you seee the larger fonts first and easiest? Here is
your chance to preserve your eyesight. If you start now with
larger fonts maybe you wont have
to strain so hard for the rest of your computer days.

As far as complaints go, there is
a lot you can get used to over time and not even notice.
email me at mailto:2scott@bellsouth.net

b00m3

hmmm..

Post by b00m3 »

I am running @ 1280x1024 on a 19" and it looks fine to me :)

I have also tested at this resolution in Linux using Netscape, Opera and Konqueror.. Opera makes it look the worse and the fonts are little small.. but i think most of that is due to the fact that i havent transfered my windows fonts over to linux yet.

subBlue
Former Team Member

Post by subBlue »

you really should use IE... or at least Netscape 6. NS4 doesn't display forms very well. You should find that with these more modern browsers the input box should take up most of the available screen width at 800x600 resolution. It really does sound as though your NS4 browser isn't setup up as well as it should be (sure you don't have it forcing small font sizes?)

I'm not entirely sure which 'white space' you are referring to... anyway, like many people, i am of the opinion that slightly smaller text with a slightly increased line height (to give more room between lines) is actually more readable than larger text wrapped over many lines (causing increased scanning of the eye and page scrolling). Cramping everything up and removing space can actually be detrimental to usability.
But then again NS4 doesn't properly support all the features that are being used to improve usability (CSS & javascript) compared to IE.

High usability was one of my key concerns when creating the design for this forum and on standard setups this has been achieved i feel.

theagent

Post by theagent »

this sucks.

1) are you running your own forum? Or is this just for this website?

2) if you are running your own forum, try looking into template directory and change it if you don't like how it looks.

3) 800 x 600 and white space??? shesssh!!! I am running 1024 by 768 and I really see so many things on the screen. What whitespace are we talking about here? Surely not the whitelight at the end of the tunnel are we?

4) i prefer to see the dev ppl set this to final rather then get involved with cosmetics. the program/software came as it is. the dev team (and the community) will help to make it better. How it looks or not is not up to them. It is up to the admin running the board.

5) time to sleep.

6) and the are heck are you doing on a 17" monitor with a resolution at 800 by 600 ?!?!?!? Change it! I am running 1024 by 768 on a 15" lcd screen and i STILL CAN read everything here!

7) time to sleep again.

8) I suggest you do screen shots, then we talk. else, this sucks. totally unconstructive.

outta here .....

VWtechie

Post by VWtechie »

Take a screenshot and link to it, that way we can see what you're seeing.

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

VWtechie wrote: Take a screenshot and link to it, that way we can see what you're seeing.

yes, that is essential - less talk, more see. ( <-- just for you, Pit! )

also, enough bitching and moaning and whining - phpBB (especially v2) is the most customizable forum system i've ever seen. so far, there has been no template made for any different "accessability requirements" (i.e., the GIANT sized stuff in Windows), AFAIK - if you want to step up and make one, great! i'm sure there are plenty of people in this world that have a need for that. you are obviously one of them. in fact, i'm wondering how you even got to this page, since you are clearly legally blind and reading a computer screen is difficult for you. how do you "surf the web" at all?

at any rate, like i said - this is the most customizably forum system out there. it is also FREE. the first thing there makes it right for you - it's just not all gift-wrapped on a silver platter; the second thing makes any bitching, whining, and moaning just selfish.

don't like it? do something about it!
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

TC wrote: yes, that is essential - less talk, more see. ( <-- just for you, Pit! )

Actually, I believe my philosophy is "more talk less sense" :D
super fun rainbow colour sig

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

The Black Pit wrote:
TC wrote: yes, that is essential - less talk, more see. ( <-- just for you, Pit! )

Actually, I believe my philosophy is "more talk less sense" :D

i was referring to how i wrote it all grammatically challenged, for your pleasure. :) there's also plenty of posts with "to" in the topic line where the obviously mean "too". i know, stirring up old flames, but i know how you love your grammar.

whoa, wait a minute - did i just graduate to mr. off-topic? *runs for cover*
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”