Banned users returning

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
InertiaM

Banned users returning

Post by InertiaM » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:29 pm

We have a user who has been banned for legal reasons. However, this user has already returned on more than one occasion using a different IP address.

So, simple question. Assuming they are daft enough to use the same password, will two passwords that are the same ALWAYS end up with the same md5 hashed result ? ie if I compare the md5-hashed version of a banned user and a current one, would they match if the unhashed passwords are the same ?

Oh, and seeing as I dont have cpanel or phpmyadmin, does anyone have a simple script for pulling a field from a database and outputting it to a page ? Anything will do, I can play around with it.

Thanks.

MitchSchaft

Post by MitchSchaft » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:48 pm

There's not much you can do to keep them away. I'll tell you what DOES work. Search for the Troll MOD. It adds a cookie to their PC that "messes up" the forum for them. Slow load times, random errors, etc. They can't post or anything. They'll think the forum is messed up.
That cookie will stay on their PC until you take them off the list or they delete it. If they delete the cookie (if they're smart enough to know what's going on), it will be placed on their machine again after logging in.
I've had GREAT success with the troll mod. I no longer ban, I use the troll mod instead. They don't have a clue.

*edit* the guy's reply below, his toolkit works great. I love it, but rarely use it.

Also, even if they create a new user account, that cookie will still be on their PC :D.
Last edited by MitchSchaft on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GreyDogz

Post by GreyDogz » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:48 pm

Try the toolkit in my signature. I think it will do what you need.

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:25 pm

Yes the password's md5 hash would be the same. Well you could actually install your own version of phpmyadmin. Get it here. It's really handy to have phpmyadmin ;)
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

NeuroDoc

Post by NeuroDoc » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:09 pm

eviL<3 wrote: Yes the password's md5 hash would be the same. Well you could actually install your own version of phpmyadmin. Get it here. It's really handy to have phpmyadmin ;)

I agree. If your host doesn't provide it, since it is php, just download and install it on your site. It's easier to install that phpBB :D (and phpBB is pretty easy).

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”