Visual Confirmation gives the same character [SOLVED]

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Kilu

Visual Confirmation gives the same character [SOLVED]

Post by Kilu »

Hello! I'm terribly sorry if this has been addressed lots of times before, I did try the search a few times, but I was left with an overwhelming amount of irrelevant hits.. :(

I need some advice. I don't have any mods installed - and I just ran the upgrade from 2.0.19 to 2.0.21 successfully. I can't remember the mySQL version off-hand.

When 'Enable Visual Confirmation' is activated, and a new person is trying to register to the board, instead of getting a string of random alphanumeric characters, they get for example '000000' or 'HHHHHH' or a similar string with the same character repeated.

What's happened? I'm tempted to ask if I've been hacked..? We do get occasionally spammers signing up, but I've begun to use groups to manage posting rights.

EDIT: Oh, and I just found out about template_check.php and ran it. The results are the following:
Visual Confirmation is enabled in your configuration table
phpbb_confirm table found.
Style 'subSilver' supports Visual Confirmation for registration, supports Visual Confirmation configuration option.
Style 'FCforum' supports Visual Confirmation for registration, supports Visual Confirmation configuration option.

Thanks in advance!

//K
Last edited by Kilu on Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I think this is a problem with your host's server software. contact them, tell them what is going on and see what they say.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

If this is showing up, you've missed something in the update process - this issue is definitely fixed in 2.0.21 (it's related to a particular php module not being available, but the latest releases have a workaround for this)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Can you explain how you updated from 2.0.19 to 2.0.21, give us a step by step, so we can check you did it correctly :)
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to download phpBB then upload a fresh copy of includes/usercp_confirm.php
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
alvo

Post by alvo »

I'd like to make another suggestion. Turn it off and install a mod that will stop all the spam bots like the Anti Bot Question mod or the VIP Code mod or something similar. The supplied VC is solvable by spam bots. Having "TG6R5A" is no more difficult for a bot to read than "HHHHHH" so what you have will be an indication of how well the VC will work for your site. When I had it running I got several spam registrations/posts a day and with it replace I get none. It may well be that the time you invest in getting it to work is something you find wasn't worth your effort when you're done.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=427852
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

alvo wrote: I'd like to make another suggestion. Turn it off and install a mod that will stop all the spam bots like the Anti Bot Question mod or the VIP Code mod or something similar. The supplied VC is solvable by spam bots. Having "TG6R5A" is no more difficult for a bot to read than "HHHHHH" so what you have will be an indication of how well the VC will work for your site. When I had it running I got several spam registrations/posts a day and with it replace I get none. It may well be that the time you invest in getting it to work is something you find wasn't worth your effort when you're done.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=427852

Yes thats great, but that does not address them not being correctly up to date and possibly running an insecure phpbb meaning spam will be the least of their worries :)
alvo

Re: Visual Confirmation gives the same character six times

Post by alvo »

Kilu wrote: ... I just ran the upgrade from 2.0.19 to 2.0.21 successfully...

I think they are up-to-date.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Graham wrote: If this is showing up, you've missed something in the update process - this issue is definitely fixed in 2.0.21 (it's related to a particular php module not being available, but the latest releases have a workaround for this)

no they are not ;)
Kilu

Post by Kilu »

Hi and thanks for all your input! It gave me a few good clues what to do. I ran some checks and even checked with the site admin and he said nothing's changed on the server side, so I came to the conclusion some of the .php files were an older version.

I made a backup of the dbase and the config.php file, chanted a religous hymn (I refrained from the swing-the-chicken-in-the-moonlight ceremony) and copied the full package into the forum folder. And guess what, after copying back the config file everything works again! :D

Thanks a ton guys and gals!

//K

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the MOD tip, I'll look into it!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”