Does the admin have the ability to view all private msgs?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Mike Godwin

Does the admin have the ability to view all private msgs?

Post by Mike Godwin »

Sorry if this has already been covered; I cannot seem to find it in a search.

I was wondering if a board admin has the ability to view/manage all PMs on the board? If so, I cannot seem to find the option in the ACP.

Thanks
Mike
raeyshe

Post by raeyshe »

No. That is against all privacy rules.
tcr2005

Post by tcr2005 »

raeyshe wrote: No. That is against all privacy rules.

Not isnt.

But it is against MOST privacy rules.

There is a mod that exists that allows you to do it but unfortunately I cant remember the name of it.
Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

Always when this is being asked I wonder why Admins aren´t able to respect their visitor´s privacy and control their curiosity.

If I would suspect that an Admin on a board I visit would want to only nose in my PM´s I would just ask inmediatly if my account could be deleted, straight away.

I mean, what can be in the PM´s that is so important that you NEED to know, terrorists conspiring to blow up your board? 8O
tcr2005

Post by tcr2005 »

The ONLY reason it should be used is for invetigative purposes...ie...if one user is being threatened or harassed by another
Mike Godwin

Post by Mike Godwin »

Dogs and things wrote: Always when this is being asked I wonder why Admins aren´t able to respect their visitor´s privacy and control their curiosity.

If I would suspect that an Admin on a board I visit would want to only nose in my PM´s I would just ask inmediatly if my account could be deleted, straight away.

I mean, what can be in the PM´s that is so important that you NEED to know, terrorists conspiring to blow up your board? 8O

Mine is a closed board which I run within the confines of my home for educational purposes. I have a bunch of dummy accounts and am testing some PM stuff. Would you like to come over and help?

Mods, please lock this thread, as I don't think there's any further use to leaving it open.

Thanks
safe_reader

Post by safe_reader »

I never bothered trying to peek into my client's private mails. But I guess people being people, there is always those who HAVE to know...

If I am on a forum where an admin is like that, id' rather just post something private in public, and the rest in private. That way he'll never pay attention to what's really private.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Locked as originator requested.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”