Fighting Spam and bad posts with trusted members

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Dave Bean

Fighting Spam and bad posts with trusted members

Post by Dave Bean »

We have been discussing how to reduce forum spam for years. Our methods may improve, but spam finds it way though. Sometimes the offending posts are not even spam, but just in appropriate.

How do we know if a new member can be trusted with a post? Really the only way to know for sure is to review the post. I have the notify_on_all_new_posts mod running which let's me know after the post that I should look at it. But wouldn't it be wonderful if we could place new posts by new members (not yet trusted) in a draft status, away from the public until we approve the post or designate the member as having achieved "trusted status".

If a member violates their trusted status with a bad post? We can now revoke their trusted status is we wish. This would not only stop spam, but also put a leash on new members.

Anyone see a mod like this? I saw one that let's a member designate their own post as draft.

Or perhaps we could force the post by not-yet-trusted members to some sort of hidden forum section with information about the intended section. The admin could then move the post if it is OK.

Without the trusted status, won't we be fighting spam forever? Ideas?

I'm now on the current version and still get many spams each day.
Building Internet Communities
www.ColoradoHealth.info
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean »

Thanks - the Approval Mod is very close and the Approval Group mod may be what we need:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=444640

Seems like every board with an issue with spam and an interest in protecting users from it will want this mod. Says 85% done - can't wait, but know that sometimes most of the project is in the last 10% :D

=====
Another mod that is a must have in my opinion is for memberlist.php and newestmember to not include members with 0 posts.
Last edited by Dave Bean on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.ColoradoHealth.info
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

these MODs will only affect posts already made. If you allow guest posting, then you are shooting yourself in the foot before you start.

If you do not allow guest posting, then spam posts are usually not a problem.

You need to disallow guest posting anywhere, then install one or more of the spam MODs found here:
SpamBots

that will take care of about 99% of spam, then your approval MOD will let you decide what posts made by your members are appropriate and which ones are not.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean »

I totally agree that guest posting should not be allowed if spam is an issue. However, even with user authentication turned on and on the latest 2.0.21, I still get many spam messages each day, so I'm looking forward to the Approval Group Mod.

Will be interesting, may be able to allow Guest posting with the Approval Group Mod .... no lost my head, my original purpose for the requiring registration is to build a community and allow notify on reply.
www.ColoradoHealth.info

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”