Search Indexing Problems

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Zarath

Search Indexing Problems

Post by Zarath » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:11 am

This is the first time I think I've ever needed help with phpBB, but this is more of a laziness (and lack of wanting to rewrite the whole thing) problem...

I run a large and popular role-playing site, where people essentially roleplay post by post. The problem is that a lot of people post over 500 words each post, some reaching up on 2000 words for a single post. Now this was fine a few years ago, but as the site increases in popularity, and the fact that I don't prune posts, the word match table has grown significantly... Now, everytime someone posts a large post, with a lot of unique words in it, the indexing takes upto 3 minutes to finish.

I narrowed this down using section timers in the functions_post.php file and it's definitely the add words function doing it. Deleting a post causes the same problem, but I assume in reverse.

My problem is that this is quite annoying, and I can't see any obvious way around this... So I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions, besides stripping the entire function and using MySQL's full text search function. Are there any mods to do this? Has anyone else run into this same problem? Does anyone know if the next version of phpBB has the same problem?

Also, just for notice, I'm running on my own server, so this isn't a CPU problem. I'm using probably version around 2.0.18 (so if there's been an update to fix this, notice would be nice).

Thanks for any help you can give.

cybrid23
Former Team Member

Post by cybrid23 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:26 am

Decrease searchtables' size

Latest version is 2.0.21. It is suggested you update.
---Never leave home without a towel and your peril sensitive sunglasses.
---Do Not PM Me For Support. It will go unanswered.
Thanks.

Zarath

Post by Zarath » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:58 am

I don't believe the suggested fix you posted will work, primarily because of the size of my site. There is over 300,000 (over 150,000 of those are RP, so assume an average of 500 words) posts on the forum and if I enabled a blacklisting of words, it would probably cause a vast majority of words to be blacklisted and ultimately disable the search function in its intended way...

cybrid23
Former Team Member

Post by cybrid23 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:16 am

Ok...Then try here:

phpBB tweaks for large forums
---Never leave home without a towel and your peril sensitive sunglasses.
---Do Not PM Me For Support. It will go unanswered.
Thanks.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”