directorys

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:21 am

We don't recommend hosts. You'll have to ask on that link I posted above.

In general though you should be aware of the severe restrictions with free hosts. You cannot make database backups, you cannot add the MODs you want, you cannot add the templates you want and if you want to move on you may not be able to take the database with you. Also some just disappear never to be seen again. They have to pay the bills somehow and they splatter your forum with adverts but if people don't click them, they don't get money and they can't pay the server bill. If they go down you'll lose everything.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

bellmaster4

Post by bellmaster4 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:15 pm

yes, i have found that godaddy is (apparently) a very good board hoster, Thank you for all your help!

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:31 pm

bellmaster4 wrote: yes, i have found that godaddy is (apparently) a very good board hoster, Thank you for all your help!

You should do some more checking......
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

bellmaster4

Post by bellmaster4 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:41 am

yes, http://hostjury.com/ is a very good website, that tells you lots about web hosters. I have been looking on there.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:02 pm

well, if they say that godaddy is a good hoster, then I would find somewhere else to check on hosting companies.

godaddy is a very good domain name company, that is what they have always been. however, as a hosting company, ....well let's just say,
do a search here on this board for godaddy and you will see what I am talking about.

you just can't do this for free and have it work very good.

if you are serious, then you need to get a regular paid hosting account with a company that knows what they are doing. then install phpbb yourself and you will have complete control over your website like you should.
'
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”