Couldn't obtain version info ?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
GilaMonster

Couldn't obtain version info ?

Post by GilaMonster »

When updating to a newer version by running install/update_to_latest.php, I get the following and the version continues to show 2.0.06 in the admin footer. I have been updating from 2.0.10 to 2.0.14 at this point and no matter what I have tried, I just can't get this problem resolved. Does anyone know what I've done wrong or how I can correct it?
Thanks

Code: Select all

Information

sql_query($sql)))
{
	die("Couldn't obtain version info");
}

$row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result);

$sql = array();

switch ($row['config_value'])
{
	case '':
		echo 'Previous version :: < RC-3';
		break;
	case 'RC-3':
		echo 'Previous version :: RC-3';
		break;
	case 'RC-4':
		echo 'Previous version :: RC-4';
		break;
	default:
		echo 'Previous version :: 2' . $row['config_value'] . '';
		break;
}

echo 'Updated version  :: 2' . $updates_to_version . '' ."\n";

espicom

Post by espicom »

When you uploaded the new files, did you remember to not overwrite your config.php script? Make sure the one on the site is NOT empty, or you would get this error.

If you did overwrite it, see the KB article, I accidently deleted my config.php file. What do I do?
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

GilaMonster

Post by GilaMonster »

Thge config.php file is fine. I think I figured out the problem but I'm not sure what I should do about it.
I didn't creat a contrib directory and didn't download any files into it prior to updating. I never did this at any point during the updates from 2.0.10 to 2.0.11 or from 2.0.11 to 2.0.12 all the way to where I am now at 2.0.14.

I guess my question now is... Can I create the contrib folder and upload the contents and also create the install directory and upload the update_to_latest.php file once again and then run the update_to_latest.php to fix the problem??

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

The error implies that the "version" row of the phpbb_config table is missing. Try this in phpMyAdmin (Check your host's control panel for this) and see if you get anything:

SELECT * FROM phpbb_config WHERE 'config_name' = 'version';
If you do not get any results, do this, again in phpMyAdmin:

INSERT INTO phpbb_config VALUES ('version', '.0.14');
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

GilaMonster

Post by GilaMonster »

I think you're right, but I am not familiar with the functions or operation of phpMyAdmin. I can change files, add files, and such, but I am a complete loss of using phpMyAdmin. I am not sure how to go about what you are describing. I pulled up phpMyAdmin and clicked on phpbb_config toi see what happened. I got a list. That was before I tried to figure out how to "SELECT * FROM phpbb_config WHERE 'config_name' = 'version';". All I could see that might do it was to click on "Query window" and then I entered the above information into it. Now I see some tables. One of which has config_name and config_value. Both have various options after them but I have no idea how to do what you suggest with these functions or if I am even in the right place.
I'm lost with this...

GilaMonster

Post by GilaMonster »

OK, I clicked on browse after config_name and I located "version" on the last row. How doI open and check it from there? Or.. am I in the wrong place and doing something entirely wrong?

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

The fact that it was there is what we were looking for...is the content correct? It should be .0.14 - no 2
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

GilaMonster

Post by GilaMonster »

I'm just too stupid to figure out how to get the content to show. I see "version" but I don't know how to open it to find the content.

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Ok. In phpMyAdmin's left frame click phpbb_config. Then in the right frame, press browse. This should show a table with two columns, config_name (where you would find version) and config_value. If it doesn't, you've got some really wierd issues (solvable though).
A Donut's Blog

GilaMonster

Post by GilaMonster »

OK, I found it...
config_name is version

config_value was .0.6 and I changed it to .0.14
And then chose "Save" and clicked "go"
Maybe that will do it?

GilaMonster

Post by GilaMonster »

Well, the version information is correct at the bottom of the admin index now.

Thanks for all the help. (and patience) :D

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”