Forum running slowly

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
FCB_Simon

Forum running slowly

Post by FCB_Simon »

Troubleshooting advice?

First port of call? Hosts or forum stats? My website seems to be ok but the forums slow to load and sometimes I get 'Warning mysql_connect()'/ 'max_user_connections' messages.
FCB_Simon
www.fcbes.com

TopDawg

Post by TopDawg »

Sounds like limitations put on by your hosting company. How many people are registered, etc?

FCB_Simon

Post by FCB_Simon »

1700 registered users. Probably approx 10 on at any one time. Max times approx 60-90 people on.
FCB_Simon
www.fcbes.com

TopDawg

Post by TopDawg »

Well I was looking through the forum, and it seems to be running fine. No extra-long load time or anything.

The only thing I notice that slowed me down a bit were people's avatars and pictures posted within posts.

I have noticed that you have a lot of old content sitting around. I don't know how much that's going to affect anything, but a little pruning may help a little. You may also want to check out this topic:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=135383

More often than not, it ends up being a problem with the server being too slow though

FCB_Simon

Post by FCB_Simon »

Ok, thanks for your help.
FCB_Simon
www.fcbes.com

ezlynx

Post by ezlynx »

Compression techniques could really shrink the size of the avatars. I have mine set at 3mb, smaller in size than yours. You could maybe do 10mb.

I notice some threads are really long. I close threads at 50 pages. This may increase timeouts for you.

How big database? I imagine your search table is pretty big due to words from two languages being added.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”