Upgraded to 2.0.22 And Can't Find Admin Configuration

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Mopat

Upgraded to 2.0.22 And Can't Find Admin Configuration

Post by Mopat »

Hi

I just upgraded from 2.0.21 to .22 and all seemed to be going well until I tried to access the the board configuration from the admin panel. I upgraded using the "changed files" option, went to the admin section to turn the board back on, and the configuration screen is blank. All other options (management, permissions etc.) are there, but when I click on "configuration", there is just a blank screen. Can anyone help?

Pat
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

did you have any forum mods installed before the update?
Mopat

Post by Mopat »

Yes ... a couple of security mods.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Mopat wrote: Yes ... a couple of security mods.

With mods installed on the forum you do not update using the changed files package as this can lead to mod code being over written causing such problems, do you have a backup from before the update, you might want to restore it and then update using the code changes method
Mopat

Post by Mopat »

I backed up initially from 2.0.19 and upgraded using fantastico to .21 so I have a .19 backup. The .21 installed perfectly, regardless of mods so I didn't back that up before manually installing the latest version. Is there another way round this without losing posts, members etc.

Pat
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

For a start we do not support fantastico installs here so avoid using it at all, it is bad! How you update depends on if you have mods installed and if you want to keep the mods. From where I am sat now you have a few options

You can restore the backup you have and then do the update properly using the code changes going from one version to the nest until you are up to date, so 2.0.19-2.0.20 and then 2.0.20-2.0,21 and 2.0.21-2.0.22 .

Or you can stay with what you have got and go back through every mod install for all the mods on your forum and check to see which mod edits have been removed or damaged by upgrading using the code changes, and hope you can track down and fix the problem

Or thirdly you can lose all your mods use a fresh file set keeping your posts, forums and users, by doing the following
  • download the 2.0.22 full package
  • extract it and delete from inside it the config.php (this is because you do not want to overwrite the config.php)
  • then upload overwriting all other files
  • then run the /install/update_to_latest.php
  • then delete the install and contrib folders
  • this would mean you database is updated but no data lost, and you would have fresh files which are up to date
Mopat

Post by Mopat »

I think I'll give the full install version a shot. After all, if that doesn't work, I can move to plan 1. I wouldn't have a clue whether my mods were damaged or not!!!

Thanks for your help. I hope I don't need to bug you again but the way this day has gone so far.....

Pat
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Mopat wrote: I think I'll give the full install version a shot. After all, if that doesn't work, I can move to plan 1. I wouldn't have a clue whether my mods were damaged or not!!!

Thanks for your help. I hope I don't need to bug you again but the way this day has gone so far.....

Pat

heh just to pick you up on something you have said there, this is not a full install, you are not re-installing, you are replacing all the files except the config.php, at no point in any update method should you find yourself on the install page :)
Mopat

Post by Mopat »

Full install was a bad choice of words but it's good that you spotted it in case I had literally meant what I said.

I did exactly as you suggested in the third option and....

IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!

Thank you so much. I wasn't looking forward to emails all day tomorrow (today, since it's now 3.15 in the morning) asking where the forum had gone. :wink:

Pat

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”