Which size MySQL db can phpBB handle?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Burn

Which size MySQL db can phpBB handle?

Post by Burn »

I have noticed that in the past few months, my phpBB has slowed down to a crawl. I have been talking to the host for hours and they have tried everything (including optimizing all tables), they don't understand the problem. Everything seems fine.

Before I change host, I wonder if maybe I should prune the forum? I would rather avoid it, unless I know it's going to speed things up.

When backing up from my admin page, the phpbb_db_backup.sql file is 11.6MB. When backing up the whole database from phpmyadmin, the file is 86MB (I'm not using compression in either case - not sure why the sizes are so different).
abusedemailaddress

Post by abusedemailaddress »

11.6MB is rather small in the phpBB world.

Speed factors usually come down to proper configuration of the MySQL database server (more RAM is your friend, as long as MySQL is told to use it!) and keeping the MODs to a minimum.
The abuse will continue until morale improves!
starware

Post by starware »

11.6? I would have expected you to say 116......

If you've tried everything then you might just have a bad host..
Or maybe the MYSQL version is still like version 3. *gasp*

Well I'd probably want another host.. It's also possible that mods could slow down a forum like abused said.. What are the speeds on the regular pages like HTML?
Pardon my bad english, I'm american. :P
hewmac06
Former Team Member
Name: Hugh

Post by hewmac06 »

Sounds odd numbers. Mine are:
Cpanel 34MB
MyAdmin 10 MB

Mine is fast fast fast
espicom

Post by espicom »

You know, a large difference in size of backups indicates that you have a lot of tables outside of what PHPBB backs up. The admin panel utility ONLY backs up "standard" PHPBB tables (there are about 30 of them), while some MODs add several more. The only way to get ALL of them is through phpmyadmin or one of the command-line tools, like mysqldump (which is what I use on a cron job).

There are MODs that are known speed killers, like the "birthday MOD". And, if the "stop words" list in the languages directory is not right for your forum, you could have a huge search table, containing too-common words.

Suggested resources:

Knowledge Base article on backing up and restoring databases
MOD to rebuild search tables (so you don't have to back up the search tables anymore)
Knowledge Base article on Decreasing the size of your search tables
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
Burn

Post by Burn »

Thanks a lot for all your answers.

I am in the process of moving the website to another host. I have already installed phpBB and restored a version of the database, and everything is fast.
weasel69

Post by weasel69 »

My db is currently 29Mb in size ... and still very fast. Pro broblems.
Burn

Post by Burn »

Thanks. It was definitely a problem with the host.
Burn

Post by Burn »

I just wanted to update this thread:

I have since changed hosts, and the website is super fast again. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”