SMTP connection with google mail

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Juul

SMTP connection with google mail

Post by Juul »

Hi,

I will use SMTP mail for my forum. Well I have gmail, gmail has SMTP so I will use gmail to send my board mails :lol:

BUT that doesn't work :cry: I have used this settings: click here (and I double checked them ...)

So does anybody now why it isn't working...

I said in config of phpBB 2.0.22:
SMTP: Yes
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP user: xxxxx@gmail.com
SMTP password: xxxxxxxxxxx

( 8O my first post here :!: )
nvic

Post by nvic »

You can't use gmail as an smtp service. It requires secure authentication which is not supported by phpBB.
abusedemailaddress

Post by abusedemailaddress »

However, you MIGHT be able to use YAHOO, with some changes to smtp.php.
The abuse will continue until morale improves!
Juul

Post by Juul »

abusedemailaddress wrote: However, you MIGHT be able to use YAHOO, with some changes to smtp.php.

Damn, and are there other free mail services who support SMTP and can work together with phpBB?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Juul wrote:
abusedemailaddress wrote:However, you MIGHT be able to use YAHOO, with some changes to smtp.php.

Damn, and are there other free mail services who support SMTP and can work together with phpBB?

no, even when one starts up, they only last a day or two becuase of the spammers.

if your host does not offer email, then you have to get another host that does ( paid for usually) .

this is just one of the many reasons why trying to do this using only free stuff, is not a good idea.

you can get a good hosting company and your own domain name for less than $50 a year, why bother will all the crap you have to go through trying to do it for free?
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
danopia
Name: Daniel Lamando

Post by danopia »

I have free hosting with email and FTP, and only 5 extra letters in the domain (it's a subdomain) so free hosts aren't all that bad. Even though I am now moving to a dedicated server. :P
Hackers are not criminals. Hackers are the only people out there to keep crackers and virus coders on the run. Hackers are misconstrued by the media, but in reality, they do not cause damage or steal. Hackers tell system administrators of the faults of their software, and keep the Internet safe from those who don't.

phpBB3 MODs: Simple Topic Calendar

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”