How do I move my forum from 1 hosting to other?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
bc7h

How do I move my forum from 1 hosting to other?

Post by bc7h »

I want to move my phpbb forum to other hosting service, how can I move my forum with my users messages and register nicks?
Do I have to start from 0 messages and register nicks or is there a way I can move my forum with everything even the templates?
Dog Cow

Re: How do I move my forum from 1 hosting to other?

Post by Dog Cow »

bc7h wrote: I want to move my phpbb forum to other hosting service, how can I move my forum with my users messages and register nicks?
Do I have to start from 0 messages and register nicks or is there a way I can move my forum with everything even the templates?

It depends on what you can do with your current host.

The best solution is to back up your database via the Admin Panel. This will make sure no posts or users are lost.

Then, if you have modified your phpBB or installed other templates, you'll probably want to connect to your web space via FTP and download all the files.

Once you get to your new host, just upload all the files and restore the database.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
AndyP85

Post by AndyP85 »

I have just done the same and it can be a bit terrifying if you have never done it before... so may I offer a bit of advice from a newbie at database transfering.

1: If you intend to transfer from one host to another try and keep the original one open until the new one is fully up and running. That way you can keep going back and forth when the mistakes happen (and they will!)

2: Trim your forum down as much as you can because restoring a big database to your new host can easily fail...many times!

3. I tried to reduce the size of my database via downloading as a GZip compressed file but my host kept coming up with errors all the time so I gave up on that..... However, I have only just seen that in the Config there is the option to enable GZip files.... I had this option disabled so I presume that may have had something to do with it (Can anyone confirm that please?)

4. Even though I reduced my database down from 20mb to just 5mb I still used bigdump which I found very easy and you can watch the progress as well.

If you havent done so already I advise you to read all about bigdump and the really helpfull auto cookies http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=374
Hope this is helpful......

AndyP
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

There is a tutorial on this precise subject linked in the Sticky at the top of this Forum - "Readme before posting".
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

There is a tutorial on this precise subject linked in the Sticky at the top of this Forum - "Readme before posting".
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Disturbed One

Post by Disturbed One »

stevemaury wrote: There is a tutorial on this precise subject linked in the Sticky at the top of this Forum - "Readme before posting".

The link is here by the way.

After supporting communities for a couple of years now, I know there are plenty of people out there who still cannot find what you are referencing ;)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”