Problem with "Notify me if Reply"-UPDATED 2/21/07

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
honeysmom

Problem with "Notify me if Reply"-UPDATED 2/21/07

Post by honeysmom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:44 am

After several different searches and attempts I have found this to be the problem. (Sorry for double post on an older thread). I'm hoping this is easily fixable I'm excited to launch my site.

1. When posting a reply to a thread that has any type of watch or notify of reply on it...the system hangs. You do not receive any errors you just eventually get the timeout page.

2.The same thing happens when using mass email

3.Other email features work, such as registering..admin receives emails of new registerations, they receive the welcome email and notifcation of acitvation emails.

I thought it may have been a MOD I installed, however I installed a clean version on another domain and I'm receiving the same issue.

I'm sure it has to do with email and or my server but I'm not sure what to look for or ask.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have seen another thread on this but did not get a resolution from it I wasn't sure what the fix was.

Here is the post
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... osting+php
Last edited by honeysmom on Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geocator

Post by geocator » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:29 am

Do you get any error messages? What are they?

honeysmom

Post by honeysmom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:33 am

Nope I don't get any error messages.

I can reply to any post EXCEPT those that someone has the notify me checked when I reply to one of those post it sits, and sits, and sits. Eventually I just get a white screen.

When I go back to the forum the reply is posted however no email went to the person that selected notify me.

geocator

Post by geocator » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:36 am

Sounds like an issue with the email system sending out notifications. Check emailer.php

honeysmom

Post by honeysmom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:10 am

Oh I forgot to mention that other emails work fine.

Like I can email via the board to members..not sure if that makes a difference. I will check the emailer.php but I don't recall changing anything in this file.

honeysmom

Post by honeysmom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:27 am

Still trying to narrow it down. I just tried to do a mass email and it won't email just sits thers as well.

honeysmom

Post by honeysmom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:00 am

Now I'm TOTALLY confused!!

I installed another fresh forum to see if I could find the problem and it doesn't work on that one EITHER!!

I don't think it was something I did. I'm at a lost for how to fix this. This is strange to me as I have used phpbb before

honeysmom

Post by honeysmom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:20 pm

Disregard all the replies I updated the initial post. Sorry for the duplication.

If you could refer to that post and see if the information is easier to understand, any help would be appreciated!!

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:35 pm

How many members do you have? What happens if you export their email addresses using http://starfoxtj.no-ip.com/phpbb/toolkit/ and send an email to the whole list using your regular SMTP email account. The bounce messages you get back might indicate whether there are "problem" addresses. I sounds like there are one or more addresses that hang things.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

honeysmom

Post by honeysmom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:41 pm

They are all my accounts. The board has not been made public yet. Though it is live and running.

On the fresh install I only had two users both my own email addresses, one was my admin account.

Then I did a test registration and that email received the welcome email and the activation email.

Then I took that account and made a post with the notify me clicked. Then logged out. Logged in with my Admin account and tried to reply and it got stuck. I can reply to all other post that DO NOT have the notify when reply no problem.

So I know the posting is getting hung up when it is trying to email the person who started the tread but I am not sure why? (Since they can get other emails sent from the board).

I can try sending the address an email using the smpt account (but I'm not sure what that means???)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:46 pm

SMTP. I just mean the regular account you use to send regular email. BTW, since these are test accounts, do any of them have dummy email addresses?

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

honeysmom

Post by honeysmom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:52 pm

No they are different email address that I have

MSN
Bellsouth
Adelphia
and my domain name

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:03 pm

Delete the accounts one at a time. Test. If problem still exists, add acount back and remove another. retest. Etc. until you find the problem account, if any. Are any of these accounts set up to forward mail to another of the accounts? That's where my thinking is heading. Loopsville.

honeysmom

Post by honeysmom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:22 pm

OK I deleted all accounts and then registered one .

I sent an email to both addresses from my server email. Both were received.

I logged in with one account and posted a thread and clicked notify me. Logged in with the other and tried to reply. Still hung up.

I tried mass email to one group which is only one user and it hung up.

When I registered the second account i received teh activation email and was fine.

I'm still baffled as why it is only in the posting and mass email.

On and neither of these emails have forwarders

honeysmom

Post by honeysmom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:28 pm

Well I'm thinking is has to either be a Web hosting issue

or a wrong file in the download

If it were the second I would expect EVERYONE to have a problem.

I just downloaded it again today and followed the quick install instructions and am still having the problem.

How much do emails play a part in it. I mean it can't big of a part as far as members many people use fax emails or forwarders and it does not shut down the forum.

My hosting service is looking into but in the meantime if anyone has more ideas to what this could be.

It is not a MOD for sure as it is a fresh install. This error is happening right off of the bat.

Again single emails when registering and stuff go through. My web host says they have SendEmail enabbled but I'm hoping they find something wrong on their end.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”