IP Tracker

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
HighFlyer

IP Tracker

Post by HighFlyer »

It seems as though the built-in IP tracer times out more often than not. Is there a reliable, free IP tracker available anywhere? One that can be trusted to be accurate?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

The answer you received last time was not satisfactory? - http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=520036

HighFlyer, your preoccupation with tracking IP addresses prior to activation is, I presume, due to spam. There are lots better ways, as linked in the Sticky at the top of this thread. Bots don't use the same IP twice and real users can have a varietry of IP addresses.

If I am wrong as to your goal, perhaps if you tell us what it is, we can help you achieve it.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

HighFlyer

Post by HighFlyer »

I'm sorry, I was trying to post here from AOL, which never works, and when I looked for my post, I didn't see it so I assumed it didn't post.

No, it's not due to spam. I want to know who is registering before I approve them. I am aware of everything you have mentioned. I am trying to identify people using the same user ID so I can eliminate them.

And no, it's not preoccupation. It's board safety. Since the one that is part of phpBB rarely works, I thought I would ask if there is a reliable, accurate one.

Thank you anyway.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Your concern is understandable. It is just my humble opinion that the time spent on IP tracking (which is fairly devoid of any information about the actual user) is better spent on other means to ensure board safety.

My IP adress (at least at this particular moment) is 67.142.130.24. Who am I?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

fpd

Post by fpd »

I am with High Flyer - some bots are logging in and creating up to five fake accounts a day (at my site). Having an IP logger, and tracing an IP, or a range of IPs to an owner is worth the effort. Making a call to the host generally stops some/much of the bad stuff.

cybrid23
Former Team Member

Post by cybrid23 »

Bots and spammers are normally using proxies, so even if you log and trace the IP it doesn't do you any good. So you get to the proxy server, still doesn't tell who they are or where they are coming from.
---Never leave home without a towel and your peril sensitive sunglasses.
---Do Not PM Me For Support. It will go unanswered.
Thanks.

HighFlyer

Post by HighFlyer »

Goodness, I asked a simple question and I get assumptions. I know why I'm asking. I am an adult. I alone can determine how my time is best spent. And I know about proxies.

In my sweetest voice, "thank you."

cybrid23
Former Team Member

Post by cybrid23 »

Ok, some assumptions were made.

What I was getting at, is between is that dynamic ip's, rotating ip's, proxy servers to name a few, joe user is probably going to have a different ip everytime he logs in your board. He will have a different ip from work and home. So are you going to know joe user is joe user?

If you are looking for good free iptrace services, you can just use google.

Search for free whois or free ip trace and you will get quite a few hits Find the one that works for you.

There is also a mod here that changes the one phpbb uses by simply changin g the address in one of the files.

As you said, you know how your time is best spent. Just trying to keep you from chasing your tail in circles....
---Never leave home without a towel and your peril sensitive sunglasses.
---Do Not PM Me For Support. It will go unanswered.
Thanks.

fpd

Post by fpd »

cybrid23 wrote: Bots and spammers are normally using proxies, so even if you log and trace the IP it doesn't do you any good. So you get to the proxy server, still doesn't tell who they are or where they are coming from.
Seriously: Why does phpBB have a "Ban IP" section if it is of no use? If you know of a means to log/read "joe user"'s IP address, I would appreciate the information. I've looked on phpbb.com, but have not found anything. Thank you.

geocator

Post by geocator »

fpd wrote:
cybrid23 wrote:Bots and spammers are normally using proxies, so even if you log and trace the IP it doesn't do you any good. So you get to the proxy server, still doesn't tell who they are or where they are coming from.
Seriously: Why does phpBB have a "Ban IP" section if it is of no use? If you know of a means to log/read "joe user"'s IP address, I would appreciate the information. I've looked on phpbb.com, but have not found anything. Thank you.

The ban function works perfectly fine. But spammers use proxies and therfore you would have to ban an awful lot of ip address.

DreAdeDcoRpSE

Post by DreAdeDcoRpSE »

I have used a few IP loggers out there but most of the ones I found were either you have to pay for it or they just didnt work right. I am new to php but with help from a friend that is teaching me sortof, I created a pretty simple IP logger that I find is what I needed. This script will allow your
visitor's IP address, browser details and time of access to be logged which is exactally what I wanted. Also if you put the IPlogger on mutipul pages it will put a in referer stating what pages and time they are visiting. I didnt want any more than that also i wanted it to be easy to search through.

Well if you want to give it a try you can download it from HERE and if you like to see a demo of the information you get,(the look of the log) click HERE. In this demo you will see there IP, the time, the page, (NOTE: I only have the logger on one page currentally so that is why its all the same), and there browser that they were using to view it. My site was based around FireFox that is why most viewers are using FireFox rather than IE. Well I hope this helps a little.

**(note: This is not a banning system, just a IP logger)**

fpd

Post by fpd »

geocator wrote:
fpd wrote:
cybrid23 wrote:Bots and spammers are normally using proxies, so even if you log and trace the IP it doesn't do you any good. So you get to the proxy server, still doesn't tell who they are or where they are coming from.
The ban function works perfectly fine. But spammers use proxies and therfore you would have to ban an awful lot of ip address.
Does phpBB2 have a "log IP" for people signing up? I get up to 5 bad ones (bots, I assume) a day, so that's not too much work for me to sift through, and I know how to use ARIN to find more info so I won't ban friendlies.

DreAdeDcoRpSE

Post by DreAdeDcoRpSE »

fpd wrote: Does phpBB2 have a "log IP" for people signing up?

its a mod found here Log IP Address on Registration

but that only starts recording IP's on new registeration's.

Renodil

Post by Renodil »

If you want to block proxies I just installed this MOD. proxy-2.2.1

DreAdeDcoRpSE

Post by DreAdeDcoRpSE »

Renodil wrote: If you want to block proxies I just installed this MOD. proxy-2.2.1

But For certian places that is not a good thing, half the people I know that are in euro are on proxies. I know it sucks cause most bots are on proxies as well.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”