Everyone banned from the messageboard

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
biglife

Everyone banned from the messageboard

Post by biglife » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:30 am

Somehow i, as the admin, and the other moderators have been banned from my messageboard. I've just tried to log on using a computer of someone who has never even looked at the board and they have been banned as well.

Anyone got any idea what could have caused this? Is there an email/phone number to contact at times like this?

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:32 am

Try this
  1. Create a fix.php file with the following:

Code: Select all

<?php
    define('IN_PHPBB', true);
    include('./extension.inc');
    include('./common.'.$phpEx);
    $page_title = 'phpBB Fix';

$sql = array();
    $sql[] = "TRUNCATE TABLE " . BANLIST_TABLE . "";

$sql_count = count($sql);
    for( $i = 0; $i < $sql_count; $i++ )
    {
       if ( !($result = $db->sql_query($sql[$i])) )
       $echo .= '<b>Query ' . ($i+1) . ': </b><font color="red"><b>Error (' . mysql_error() . ')</b></font><br />';
       else
       $echo .= '<b>Query ' . ($i+1) . ': </b><font color="green"><b>Ran successfully</b></font><br />';
    }
    message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, "<table width=\"80%\" class=\"forumline\"><tr><td><u><b>Report:</b></u><br />$echo<br /><br />All queries have been run. If any errors came up above, be sure to post the report in your topic on phpBB.com.<br /><b>You should now delete this file</b></td><tr></table>");
    ?>
  2. Upload the file to your board's root folder (the one with config.php)
  3. Run it by navigating to the file in your browser (ex. http://www.yoursite.com/phpBB2/fix.php)
  4. If any errors come up, post the report here.
  5. Be sure to delete the file; don't leave it on your server

biglife

Post by biglife » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:50 pm

I think our board is utterly screwed. The amount of spam we've been having over the last few weeks has been incredible. If i wanted to scrap that board and start again what do i need to do?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:57 pm

Why do you think another board will be immune from spam if you do nothing to prevent it? If it were me, I'd unban everyone, put a * in the disallow names box to stop registrations, use this Starfoxtj Tool Kit to fix a lot of Admin-related problems to clean out spam users, implement user activation and a good antispam MOD, like either the VIP MOD or the one linked in the signature of user James N, and then remove the asterisk and go.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Bobble

Post by Bobble » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:58 pm

The spam is an entirely different problem to being banned. Even if you were to restart the spam would still be an issue.

Have you attempted the fix Karl posted? Did it work?

After you have solved this issue take a read of the 'ReadMe Before Posting' sticky. It contains links to ongoing threads with MODs and tips for reducing spam on your board.

will_hough
Former Team Member
Name: Will Hough

Post by will_hough » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:02 pm

biglife wrote: I think our board is utterly screwed. The amount of spam we've been having over the last few weeks has been incredible. If i wanted to scrap that board and start again what do i need to do?

>> If that is what you really want to do. <<

Delete all your old files and upload all new phpBB2.0.22 files.
Drop your database tables. You will loose all posts, members and and information.
Install your new board by going to www.yoursite.com/phpBB/install/install.php

[edit]
And then look through these topics -

There are three large topics regarding spam prevention. If after reading through the topics you still have a question, please reply to one of the already created topics; do not start a new one.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=427852
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=393503
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=257755
[/edit]

toloko

Re: Everyone banned from the messageboard

Post by toloko » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:44 pm

I and all users were getting a "Not Authorised" message when we login. The fix.php code above worked for me. I'm using Antispam by Ramon Fincken. It's a bit of a sledgehammer, but it works for me.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”