Website can't be shown error when logging in

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
mimland

Website can't be shown error when logging in

Post by mimland » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:37 am

Version: 2.0.22
URL: www.cotisle.com/forum hosted by blue voda
No mods that I know of
Tried to search but since I'm not sure of the exact wording in english for the error I get it is hard to find what I'm looking for even if it is there.

Problem
I have just created a new website through blue voda. They provide a tool to add a phpbb board to your website and that is the toll i was using.

Everything worked fine up untill a few minutes ago. Now when people try to log in they get a website can not be shown (not 100% of the english wording of that one). I have log me in automatically on on my account and that it does without problems. It will also show you as logged in if you log in get the not shown error and then put in the url of the forums.

The same problem is with the administration panel except that one I can't get to show at all. I click the link to take me to the administration panel and get the website can not be shown and that is it.

I tried to rename the boards with the configuration tool earlier. The problem is the old name is still showing up at the top of the boards. That is the only thing I can think of to cause the problem but I'm not sure.

It is the same when logging out.

I would hate to have to redo it all since I spent quiet some time working on it to get all the sections right.

MikovChain

Re: Website can't be shown error when logging in

Post by MikovChain » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:31 pm

Maybe you have input an error domain/hostname when you install your board.
The board, when you log in, it will make a redirection and take your browser to the forum path based on the pre-defined domain/hostname. So if you input a wrong one, you will get an error page when you login the forum or admin control panel.

You can correct it using a Mysql management tool, i.e. phpmyadmin.

mimland

Post by mimland » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:59 pm

How does it all of a sudden stop working. When I run the built in MYsql check and repair tool i get list that says everything is ok. Anyway you could explain abit more what I should be looking for I'm kinda a beginner.

I have the phpmyadmin tool linked from my mysql account management site but what exactly should I be looking for in it.

Can it be the not working namechange that screwed it up and is there anyway to backup the forums and reinstall without accessing the admin panel. When I look at the phpbb_config file through phpmyadmin it is the old forumname that is used if it makes a difference. The site name and all that looks correct in that file but I have no idea where to see what the admin panel or login/logout directs to or where it should direct.

rvmomma

Post by rvmomma » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:51 pm

since you are in the database,

look in the config table for the server_name field. that should be your current domain name without the http:// part.

look for the script_path that should be the name of your current phpbb folder /phpbb/ or whatever, but it needs both slashes.

look for cookie_path, it should be the same as the script path but with no ending slash.

look for cookie name, change it to something else, doesn't matter what.

log out,
log back in and test.

mimland

Post by mimland » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:56 pm

Thank you very much for the help. The server name was the problem. Now it works again.
Last edited by mimland on Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rvmomma

Post by rvmomma » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:58 pm

mimland wrote: When I enter my loginname and password and push submit the url showing in the addressfield is http://www.cotisle.com/forum/login.php Nothing except the error shows up on the screen though.

have you done what I said?

mimland

Post by mimland » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:04 pm

rvmomma wrote:
mimland wrote: When I enter my loginname and password and push submit the url showing in the addressfield is http://www.cotisle.com/forum/login.php Nothing except the error shows up on the screen though.

have you done what I said?

Yeah I did and it works now. Forgot to update the forum so I didn't see your answer before I posted that last part. :oops:

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”