A few questions

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
writerrobert680

A few questions

Post by writerrobert680 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:39 pm

I am new to this message board system, and I want to know a few things.

First is there a way to make an announcement in one forum be visible in every forum? Like a message board announcement?

Second, how can I manage polls and how many poll options I can allow my members to create?

And third, is there a way to add html to the top and maybe the bottom of my forum? Like adding a table to the top with info or whatever? And if so, is it possible to add codes to the forum?

TIA for your replies.

rvmomma

Re: A few questions

Post by rvmomma » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:12 pm

1. there is a MOD named global announcement that works very well.

2. poll options are managed from the admin panel, I don't know if there are any limits, try and see what happens.

3.very easy, edit the overall_header.tpl and overall_footer.tpl files and add whatever html you wish.

only use a text editor, not dreamweaver or frontpage or any other wysiwyg editor,( especially the editor in your hosting control panel )

writerrobert680

Post by writerrobert680 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:34 pm

rvmomma wrote: 1. there is a MOD named global announcement that works very well.

2. poll options are managed from the admin panel, I don't know if there are any limits, try and see what happens.

3.very easy, edit the overall_header.tpl and overall_footer.tpl files and add whatever html you wish.

only use a text editor, not dreamweaver or frontpage or any other wysiwyg editor,( especially the editor in your hosting control panel )

1. what does that have to do with the announcements?

2. okay, so where do you edit the poll options, I cannot find it anywhere.

3. okay, so if I save it it will work?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:43 pm

1. That MOD allows you to post a 'global announcement' which will show up in every forum, not just the one it's posted in.

2. Admin control panel >configuration. There's an option in there to add more choices to polls.

3. Make a backup of the file, edit a copy of it, upload it to the server and see if it works. Try it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

writerrobert680

Post by writerrobert680 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:21 am

Kevin Clark wrote: 1. That MOD allows you to post a 'global announcement' which will show up in every forum, not just the one it's posted in.

2. Admin control panel >configuration. There's an option in there to add more choices to polls.

3. Make a backup of the file, edit a copy of it, upload it to the server and see if it works. Try it.

1. so I create an account make it the global announcemt and post something?

2. okay......

3. how do I upload it?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:29 am

Are you on a free forum host by any chance?

If so, you can not do 1 or 3.
Last edited by KevC on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:16 am

Kevin Clark wrote: Are you on a free forum host by any chance?

If so, you can do 1 or 3.

I'm sure he meant to type "you can NOT do 1 or 3"
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:31 am

Indeed I did :)
Thanks Ric. Post edited.
Cheap UK Hosting

writerrobert680

Post by writerrobert680 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:55 pm

Kevin Clark wrote: Are you on a free forum host by any chance?

If so, you can not do 1 or 3.

I am using bluehost as a host for my website, and they offer free almost anything so for the message board I am not sure if it is free or not. And when I say free I mean as in I can log on to my account on bluehost and be able to get anything for free.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:03 pm

Your question asking how you upload is usually a hint that the user is on a free forum host with no FTP access. I was just making a guess because it saves a lot of typing if you are. So the question kind of still stands, do you have FTP/upload access to the forum folder on the server?

And to answer your global announcement question, no you don't make a user. It's a MODification to the forum software meaning you can make a post (just like you do a normal one or a sticky etc) but there's an extra option to make it global which means that it shows up in every forum. Adding that MOD requires you to have access to the files on the server. You will need to edit them by adding some code depending on what the MOD instructions tell you to do.
Cheap UK Hosting

writerrobert680

Post by writerrobert680 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:44 pm

Kevin Clark wrote: Your question asking how you upload is usually a hint that the user is on a free forum host with no FTP access. I was just making a guess because it saves a lot of typing if you are. So the question kind of still stands, do you have FTP/upload access to the forum folder on the server?

And to answer your global announcement question, no you don't make a user. It's a MODification to the forum software meaning you can make a post (just like you do a normal one or a sticky etc) but there's an extra option to make it global which means that it shows up in every forum. Adding that MOD requires you to have access to the files on the server. You will need to edit them by adding some code depending on what the MOD instructions tell you to do.

How can I find out?

Okay, so what coding so I need?

Also, I cannot enter my admin panel anymore, as it says it cannot find server...

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:46 pm

But hey. It's free!
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

writerrobert680

Post by writerrobert680 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:24 pm

stevemaury wrote: But hey. It's free!

and that helps me how?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:33 pm

Well, neighbor, it would help if you would answer the question as to whether you have FTP access to your forum files. Your inability to enter the Admin Panel may be cookie related, but we need an answer to the FTP access question before we can give you a fix.

And hey? You need a can and bottle deposit law down there.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

writerrobert680

Post by writerrobert680 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:27 am

stevemaury wrote: Well, neighbor, it would help if you would answer the question as to whether you have FTP access to your forum files. Your inability to enter the Admin Panel may be cookie related, but we need an answer to the FTP access question before we can give you a fix.

And hey? You need a can and bottle deposit law down there.

But the problem is, I don't know. How can I find out if I do or not?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”