Upgrade advise, please and thanks.

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
jlhaslip

Upgrade advise, please and thanks.

Post by jlhaslip »

I have a small, private Forum which is based on phpBB 2.0.17. Spam has never been a problem, so I have been negligent in upgrading lately. It is a vanilla phpBB2.0.17 install with zero Mods. Not even EasyMod is added.

In light of the imminent arrival of phpBB 3, is it required to upgrade to the latest phpBB2 in order to accommodate the switch to phpBB3? Or can the Forum be upgraded directly from 2.0.17?

If I need to first move to the newest version before the upgrade to phpBB3, can someone point me to the method for doing that, please. I find the volume of information on this site to be somewhat overwhelming, and I get a little lost/confused in places. I realize this may seem to be trivial to you folks who deal with the phpBB code all the time, but I am not an elite computer user. I can manage Mods and am somewhat conversant with php, etc, so performing the required steps for conversion or upgrading is okay. I simply need to be pointed in the right direction.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Upgrade advise, please and thanks.

Post by KevC »

You should update anyway, purely for security reasons.

Updating for you is extremely simple.

You only need to upload some files and point your browser at another.

You need to download the full 2.0.22 version from here (in the blue box)
http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/

Upload all the files except config.php and the /contrib folder overwriting the ones on the server.

Then go to
yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/update_to_latest.php
Let that run
Delete the install folder from the server

You are up to date.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
jlhaslip

Post by jlhaslip »

Thank you.

Sounds simple enough.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

There is a forum for upgrading questions...
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
jlhaslip

Post by jlhaslip »

My apologies for mis-posting this topic. I figured "[2.0.x] Conversions/Updates" would cover the question I posed.

Anyway, all up to date and thanks for your help.
HardHeaded1

Post by HardHeaded1 »

Ok I'm a complete Dummy I see all these folders. I need to know if i have to look up each folder and install???
Need more detail :|
Kinda Confuseing..Thanks
donnak78631

Post by donnak78631 »

You need to download the full 2.0.22 version from here (in the blue box)
http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/

Upload all the files except config.php and the /contrib folder overwriting the ones on the server.

Then go to
yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/update_to_latest.php
Let that run
Delete the install folder from the server

You are up to date.

SO when I get ready to upload to my server, I do not upload config.php & /contrib folder , I will have the choice not to upload?

Someone else posted that there were directions or a forum for this topic, I have not been able to find one??

I need simple step by step directions to upgrade my existing forum??
Powered by phpBB 2.0.20 © 2001 phpBB Group
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If you use a good FTP application (like filezilla - free just google it) you can choose which files to upload. It will also warn you if there is already a file on the server of the same name.

Those instructions are as simple as it gets if you have no MODs installed.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
donnak78631

Post by donnak78631 »

All my topix and members will stay, it will just update the files right?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Correct.

The database (where the users and posts are) is a different place to the forum folder (where the files are).
Cheap UK Hosting
CaroUK

Post by CaroUK »

That looks a lot simpler than the instructions l have from the knowledge section thank you. I have the no mod instructions but they look daunting and have done since 2.22 came out l have been to scared to try update silly l know :cry:
I do still have 1 Q out of the 15 odd l had.

Do l need to lock the board before l update, and if l do l assume as admin l have no problems getting in and out. I would be happier doing it unlocked if it was ok to do.
Last edited by CaroUK on Tue May 22, 2007 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Up to you.
I tend to disable the forum when I update. It only takes a second to do it. You can even edit the board disable message in the language/lang_english/lang_main.php file to say something useful to your users like 'I am updating the forum, please come back in an hour'.
Cheap UK Hosting
CaroUK

Post by CaroUK »

Many thanks and one more Q before l lauch into things

l have 21 so am only going up one stage to 22
You say the full in the blue box not just the changed files? If it is the full NOT just changed there is a flash player on how to install ph and it looks complicated so do l ignore that as all the info you have to fill in has been filled in when the forum was set up?.

Or do l use just the changed files (although l am worrying about the instructions as yours are so much simpler)and in fact silly as it seems the full setup looks simpler than the changed files only one.

Sorry if this seems silly q's but l do appreciate all the help l can get l am determined to crack it.
Many thanks :)
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You can use the change files too. It's pretty much the same thing, it's just that the changed files version only has the files that are different whereas the full version has all the files. It's the same difference :)

For the change files one you'll get a zip file with every version difference in it. eg 10>22, 11>22 etc right up to 21>22.

Just open the one relevant to your version and upload the files it gives you. And don't forget to run the install/update_to_latest.php file at the end and delete the install folder.
Cheap UK Hosting
kobe24life

Post by kobe24life »

jlhaslip wrote:I have a small, private Forum which is based on phpBB 2.0.17. Spam has never been a problem, so I have been negligent in upgrading lately. It is a vanilla phpBB2.0.17 install with zero Mods. Not even EasyMod is added.

In light of the imminent arrival of phpBB 3, is it required to upgrade to the latest phpBB2 in order to accommodate the switch to phpBB3? Or can the Forum be upgraded directly from 2.0.17?

If I need to first move to the newest version before the upgrade to phpBB3, can someone point me to the method for doing that, please. I find the volume of information on this site to be somewhat overwhelming, and I get a little lost/confused in places. I realize this may seem to be trivial to you folks who deal with the phpBB code all the time, but I am not an elite computer user. I can manage Mods and am somewhat conversant with php, etc, so performing the required steps for conversion or upgrading is okay. I simply need to be pointed in the right direction.

ok man im really confused i have no idea what you just said im new to all this and i need your help please! I downloaded the ful version but how the hell do i get it on the site please i need help! when i try to back up data base it says "This feature has been disabled. In order to enable it, please consider upgrading your forum". how i do that when i try to upgrade it says "Template->loadfile(): No files found for handle body" i have no idea of what to do with any of this!!! somone please make it simple to me! I dont even know what version i have Here is my forum if you wanna know some more detail on the version - http://hangtime.ffrq.com/ Please Reply Somone. THANKS

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”