Template authoring standards?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Template authoring standards?

Post by SamG » Fri Aug 31, 2001 7:07 pm

I saw that you've included some coding standards with v2. Is there or will there be template authoring standards as well, so everybody stays on the same v2 template design page - so to speak - from a standards point of view?

Sam

The_Systech
Former Team Member

Post by The_Systech » Fri Aug 31, 2001 7:14 pm

That is something that is in the works. Frank is working out the template documentation. :)
Jonathan L. Haase - Ex-Senior Developer phpBB

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG » Fri Aug 31, 2001 10:38 pm

Super!

ffeingol
Former Team Member

Post by ffeingol » Fri Aug 31, 2001 10:50 pm

SamG,

The site will be more documentation than standards :D

The site will document all the template variables and which variables are available on which pages etc.

As far as I can think of, there is not much to document on standards. The templates are HTML, JavaScript or anyting else you want to put in them as well as the phpBB template variables. I don't think I'd like to suggest how you should code HTML.

Frank

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn » Fri Aug 31, 2001 11:17 pm

w3c standards apply. The PSO template is 100% HTML 4.01 compatable and its something I think all template designers should strive for. HMTL 4.01 or XHTML 1.0 standards should apply :) But you can write it however you like... :D
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG » Sat Sep 01, 2001 2:21 am

Well, that's what I wondering about - W3C recommendations. Including accessibility. With the XHTML of the PSO templates and the coding guidelines in the beta, I couldn't help but wonder if that was a sign of official phpBB direction, of things to come.

With W3C standards compliance comes some pain and some benefits. I've always thought it would be cool if a BBS, at least the core feature set of a BBS, could even merit CAST's Bobby Approval. Might be a first in BBS history...? I dunno.

So it was all just some thoughts like this and about the future that made me ask. Just kinda wondering what to expect in terms of continuity with the direction of templates at hacks, etc., and whether ya'll had a written preference in the works. Where we're headed, should be headed.

Thanks again.

Sam

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”