Google summarising Menu Structure not Messages

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Frank Rizzo

Google summarising Menu Structure not Messages

Post by Frank Rizzo »

I made a change to the meta tags in overall_header.tpl and I think this has screwed up the way google indexes my site.

What's happening now is that google has decided to use my menu structure as the serps description

e.g.

New Widget Released
Blue Widgets. Widget of the Day. Widget Help. Widget Support. Site Map. Home Page
http : // www . widgetsrus.com/?viewtopic.php?p=49257 - 24k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Rather than put in the meat of the message in the description it has taken the menu structure text from the left hand menu.

I think this has happened because I have this in my overall_header.tpl:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><head>
<meta name="description" content="{PAGE_TITLE}">
<meta name="title" content="{PAGE_TITLE}">
<meta name="keywords" content="{PAGE_TITLE},widgets,widgetworld">
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset={S_CONTENT_ENCODING}">
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
{META} 
<TITLE>{PAGE_TITLE}</TITLE>
See the problem? If the page title is too short then google does not use the meta description at all but grabs text from a page.

That's fair enough. When that happens it reads the meat of the text but with the messageboard it is reading the menu structure instead. I have thousands of pages in google all with different headings, titles and url's but all with the same descriptions :|

Note that in another place it was advised to never use meta tag description as it is best for google to work this out itself (from the main text on a page). But how can I prevent google from reading the menu structure?

There is bot identification on some of the .php files. Can I do this in the template file?

Here's what I currently have:

Code: Select all

<tr><td WIDTH="15%" VALIGN="TOP" ALIGN="LEFT"> 
<?php
include("/home/widgets/public_html/php/left_menu.php");
?>
</td>
Is there a way to identify an SE and not display that menu? I can use

< ! -- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in -- >

but that hides the menu for human visitors to the site.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”