Can't see or make template directory!

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Longtide

Can't see or make template directory!

Post by Longtide »

Hello all. I apologize if I'm in the wrong forum, I've done alot of searching in many windows and so far alot of useful information that may / can help me but my problem is that I cant find the templates directory in my my installed phpbb directory. When I try to make one in the root directory it says it cannot be made?

Any leads?

Says I'm using this version: Powered by phpBB 2.0.22

Thanks in advance!
-LT
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Can't see or make template directory!

Post by stevemaury »

If you didn't have a templates folder in your forum root, your forum would not work. What are you using to view the folders? FTP or some file manager from your host?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Longtide

Post by Longtide »

Uhg! Sorry, I see it now. My problem was that I was using the FTP tool and not the file manager tool! :roll:

False alarm! Please return to providing help to other people and thanks for bringing this forum here to help noobs like me!

-LT
eukben

Post by eukben »

Hello,

This may not necessarily be a problem with phpBB, however be a problem on your hosts' end. It may be a problem with the specific folder's permission settings. Make sure permission settings are correct so user is able to 'Read', 'Write' and 'Execute'. If this is not the case you may have to contact your web host regarding this.

/Edit: I see your problem is sorted now. :)
Longtide

Post by Longtide »

Uhm, :oops: Okay, so now that I can see the template folder in the file manager, I checked the permissions for it and it is listed as for the user Read yes, write yes, execute yes, permission value 7.

I was going to use the file manager to upload unzipped templates from my pc to the site, but it wants me to do it individually, of which if that is the case, forget that! Theres over hundred files in there.

Any ideas why I cant see it in the FTP tool? Or do I need to do something silly like use my ftp program to upload the files to a temp directory then use the file manager to transfer the files over?

Seems an odd process, surely there is a better way?

Thanks again!
-LT
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

With your ftp client you should be able to access the root of your webspace - usually the public_html directory.
You can either ftp the complete phpBB2 folder (not the zip) to that location or you can open the phpBB2 folder on your desktop and ftp the complete contents to the public_html folder.
There should be no need at all to do this 1 file at a time with a file manager.

Use a proper ftp client and Not Frontpage or Dreamweaver

Permissions should be set at
phpBB2 folder 755
images/avatars 777
all files 644 except for the config.php that is 666 at install and 644 after

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
Longtide

Post by Longtide »

Thanks for the heads up Jim.

I was using the built in cpanel ftp tool and same for the file manager. I double checked permissions as you listed and modified them accordingly. If I'm reading this right, if I set images to 777 then anyone can access this public html folder and modify the images there?

Also, the only way I could manage it was to upload into a temp directory then move it to the template directory using the file manager. I little confusing at first, but it seem to working!

Thanks again for the most valuable help of this community.

-LT
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

There should be no need to use the file manager of cpanel
You should be able to connect directly with your ftp client.
It is the images/avatars directory that is 777 (that indicates the avatars directory that is within the images directory). This will allow users to upload avatars from their PC provided you have allowed it in configuration.

All other directories should be 755 except for the directory called "tmp" that is not part of phpBB2 but can be found in the root of your webspace.(in some instances it may be a level higher than the public_htm folder) That should be set at 777

The public_htm folder itself should be at 750

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”