More help please! Changing User's Post Count

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
D4ni31

More help please! Changing User's Post Count

Post by D4ni31 »

Not my board, but a board I used to admin at. We had a user with over 25k posts but one of the admins accidentally deleted his account a while back. He's back on a new account but wants his post count back.

Now seeing how I haven't used phpBB in a few years, I can't remember how to do this.

Can someone give me some instructions (and clear instructions, as I won't be doing it - I'll be giving them to someone else) as to how to do this in mysql?

Thank you.
Last edited by D4ni31 on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eukben

Re: Changing User's Post Count

Post by eukben »

Hello,

In phpMyAdmin select your database then select phpbb_users now go to 'Search' go to field 'Username' make sure operator is 'LIKE' now in 'Value' type in the forum account username then click 'Go'. Now you should see a table, to the left you will see a pen-like image, click on that. Now look for the field user_posts and change the value to whatever post-count you want it to be. Lastly, click 'Go'.
D4ni31

Post by D4ni31 »

Thank you very much. I'll have the owner give it a go. :)
dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

Post by dellsystem »

The problem with that is if someone tries to search the user's posts, they won't find 25,000 ... a way to fix that might be to install the Change Poster MOD and change all the posts by guest (if your board doesn't allow guest posting) to the newly created user. So when someone tries to search that user's posts, all 25k of them should show up :D

Let me know if that solution works for you.
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)
D4ni31

Post by D4ni31 »

We're not really concerned with getting all his deleted posts back to his username. This is a very large board (close to half a million posts, 15k users), and we have quite a few guest posts, so wouldn't be accurate. But thanks!
D4ni31

Post by D4ni31 »

More help please.

It's been a really long time since I've used phpBB.. about 5 years.

I've logged into the cpanel (one of those web management softwares) and went into phpmyadmin, and as soon as I did that, (and did nothing more!) I get that horrible error:

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Now I'm asking the owner to check the config.php file and make sure nothing was overridden but I don't think that should be the issue.

So I haven't touched ANYTHING in phpMyAdmin, just logged in and I immediately get this error. Very confused right now.
D4ni31

Re: More help please! Changing User's Post Count

Post by D4ni31 »

Okay apparently he has NONE of his phpBB files on his computer. The owner of the site has no experience with this stuff whatsoever and the site has been around since 2001, so this doesn't surprise me.

Blah, help please? I still don't see why I would get this database error. All the files are uploaded, the config.php file hasn't been played around with. Why am I getting the error?

Thanks.
dellsystem
Former Team Member

Post by dellsystem »

It's possible that it's an error with the database itself, or the password/username changed, something like that.

Is it just phpmyadmin that does that, or is the board completely down as well?
D4ni31

Post by D4ni31 »

The board is completely down.

I can get into phpMyAdmin just fine. It's possible that it is the password cause he did change it.
dellsystem
Former Team Member

Post by dellsystem »

Well if he changed the password, it's a good idea to reflect that change in config.php as well ;)
D4ni31

Post by D4ni31 »

My bad.

He didn't change the password.

I don't understand.

Why is that when I entered the web management software ---> then went into mySQL and then phpMyAdmin (made NO changes) that then the error occurred?

I don't understand. :|

I'm also getting some pretty angry emails/msgs from members who want to know when the forum will be up again, so any help will be appreciated. :lol:

Edit: He said he changed the password a few months ago. This board is 5 years old. As far as I know, he hasn't touched the database at all since that time (besides the upgrade he paid some people to do). Is it possible that since he doesn't have the phpBB files from that long ago, and thus the password is different from back then, that when I went into phpMyAdmin, somehow that triggered this?

Is there anyway to fix it? i.e. upload the phpBB files again, and change the config.php? Would you suggest that?
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

If you cannot acces the database using phpMyAdmin, then this is nothing to do with phpBB.
You need to find out the correct database username and password to access the database via phpMyAdmin first.
If you can't find the password, then you should be able to create a new database user with access to this same database.
Once that is sorted, you can correct the config.php file so that phpBB can also access the database.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
D4ni31

Post by D4ni31 »

I accessed phpMyAdmin.

I have the right username and password.

I changed the post count.

But before I did all that, right when I logged into phpMyAdmin, the board went down to the error.

Would you suggest uploading a new config.php?
D4ni31

Post by D4ni31 »

Okay fixed. Just edited the config.php file.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”