confused about user roles and user groups

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
The Dark One

confused about user roles and user groups

Post by The Dark One »

Hi

Having great fun with phpBB2 but confused about user roles

Am using latest verion of x2.0 and have 4 roles reg, private, mod, admin. I have left all because I assume that covers users and guests who are not logged on.

Am I right in thinking that permission and levels of access are determined in forum permissions control either simple or advanced mode and have to be set for each forum, rather than being set in a user role cp that I cannot find.

If so is the structure such that if i select reg user level as being able to post that all user levels above reg. ie private, mod and admin will also be able to post in that forum.

Thanks
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: confused about user roles and user groups

Post by ric323 »

If so is the structure such that if i select reg user level as being able to post that all user levels above reg. ie private, mod and admin will also be able to post in that forum.
In general yes, but "private" isn't exactly a level between registered and mod.
If a forum is set to "private", then you have to give access to that specific forum, either on a per user basis, or on a per usergroup basis.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

ric323 wrote:If a forum is set to "private", then you have to give access to that specific forum, either on a per user basis, or on a per usergroup basis.
Yes. In fact, in the PHP code itself, "Private" access is actually called "ACL" access -- ACL meaning Access Control List.

This means that non-Admins will not have permissions to the forum feature (view, read, post, reply, etc) unless they are given access in User Permission or Group Permission.
The Dark One

Post by The Dark One »

Thanks for clearing that up but it does raise another question re roles.

I have integrated phpbb2 with Subdreamer cms. This integration uses phpbb2 user roles to allocate access. On the site I want to have guest ( can view phpbb and certain parts of subdreamer), registered users (can view and post on phpbb and view ceratin parts of subdreamer) and members (subscription paid users who can view and post on phpbb2 and view all of subdreamer including use ecard and ereminder facility).

Is there any way of creqating additional roles or user levels in phpbb2 ?
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

I don't know precisely how you've done the "integration", but would imagine you could use a usergroup for your "subscribed" members.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

That would be the simplest way.
Set your forums to Private and give your "Subscriber" usergroup access to those forums.
The Dark One

Post by The Dark One »

Thanks guys

The integration is done in subdreamer. You then relate the user roles or levels in phpbb2 to the user types in subdreamer. Registration for both is then taken care of by phpbb2.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

There are no user "roles" in phpBB2, only user levels of "user" and "administrator", plus the level "moderator" which is connected with a moderator permission on one or more forums.
If you want more permission roles, you will have to use usergroups.
The Dark One

Post by The Dark One »

Thanks for that

I tried it out and its easy to set up user groups and the integration with the content management system detects the groups and relates them to its own user roles so everything looks set :D :D :D

Big Thanks to all who have replied on this one. 4 months ago I had never built a web site and I dont know how to program and now I am just a couple of weeks away from planned lauch date and everything is on target.

Thanks

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”