Split from spam topic [*Read The First Post*]

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

croquet wrote: How easily can I install this MOD on cPanel X?

mods installs are not hosting control panel related... below is a howto:

Installing a MOD:
The first thing to do before all, is to backup your files and your database.

Phpbb.com:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=61611
Step by Step Installation Instructions: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=6
Installing a MOD in a safe way: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=175
How to Install MODs : http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=150
Uninstalling a MOD: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=145

EM:
Download EasyMod, but still the backup warning above counts !

Phpbbhacks.com:
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12211

Or ask someone to do it for you.
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here

phild

Post by phild »

OK....

I've had enough... :?

I just upgraded to 2.0.21 and I'm still getting spammers. I get both bots and humans. I am spending considerable time removing these.

Our BB does not have a lot of new members, if we got one new member a month, that would be the most. With that in mind, before upgrading, I tried locking out all "self registration" by:
  • changing the name of includes/usercp_register.php to includes/Xusercp_register.php.
  • changing the link U_REGISTER in templates/sub Silver/overall_header.tpl to point directly to our home page.
  • changing $mode == 'register' in profile.php to $mode == 'XXXregister'.
  • on our home page, I have an email link to the forum-management (and forwarded to me) asking that if you want to join the forum, then send an email.
The idea behind all of this was to totally turn off any kind of auto registering or 'form filling', instead requesting an email be sent. I would be more than happy communicating with one new user a month and setting them up as opposed to deleting several spammers per day.

Is this the right approach? Are there any other holes? Am I modifying the correct files? Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks

Albert Wiersch
Name: Albert Wiersch

Post by Albert Wiersch »

phild wrote: OK....

I've had enough... :?

I just upgraded to 2.0.21 and I'm still getting spammers. I get both bots and humans. I am spending considerable time removing these.

Our BB does not have a lot of new members, if we got one new member a month, that would be the most. With that in mind, before upgrading, I tried locking out all "self registration" by:
  • changing the name of includes/usercp_register.php to includes/Xusercp_register.php.
  • changing the link U_REGISTER in templates/sub Silver/overall_header.tpl to point directly to our home page.
  • changing $mode == 'register' in profile.php to $mode == 'XXXregister'.
  • on our home page, I have an email link to the forum-management (and forwarded to me) asking that if you want to join the forum, then send an email.
The idea behind all of this was to totally turn off any kind of auto registering or 'form filling', instead requesting an email be sent. I would be more than happy communicating with one new user a month and setting them up as opposed to deleting several spammers per day.

Is this the right approach? Are there any other holes? Am I modifying the correct files? Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks

Just install this simple mod:
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/myvipcode.zip

And let us know how it works. I bet you'll be quite pleased. I am, so far anyway.

phild

Post by phild »

Ok,

VIP is installed.

www.robomo.com

I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks

Albert Wiersch

Post by Albert Wiersch »

phild wrote: Ok,

VIP is installed.

www.robomo.com

Thanks

Great. Let us know. So far the reports have been excellent.

You should be safe to turn off visual confirmation. I did. No problems yet.

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

Albert Wiersch wrote:
phild wrote:Ok,

VIP is installed.

www.robomo.com

Thanks

Great. Let us know. So far the reports have been excellent.

You should be safe to turn off visual confirmation. I did. No problems yet.

it 'should' be safe... however keep it on, won't hurt anybody

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]

Albert Wiersch

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Ramon Fincken wrote: it 'should' be safe... however keep it on, won't hurt anybody

It makes it a bit more hassle for real people. I think it is unnecessary so why make it unnecessarily more difficult for users to register?

Besides, it wasn't doing me much good anyway.

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

Albert Wiersch wrote:
Ramon Fincken wrote:it 'should' be safe... however keep it on, won't hurt anybody

It makes it a bit more hassle for real people. I think it is unnecessary so why make it unnecessarily more difficult for users to register?

Besides, it wasn't doing me much good anyway.

I'll reply to this once, don't like going offtopic here..

well if people ( real people ) are interested in becoming a part of your board in the form of a register process... then they are willing to fill in the things needed as long as that doenst take an hour...

filling in your modded register + the standard VC will take me about 40 seconds..

spidermedic

Post by spidermedic »

Thanks for this thread. I'm a fairly new PHPBB2 admin and just disabled my board as I was getting up to 10 spammer registrations a day.

One thing that really concerns me is that when I would delete some of these users, it would ask if I wanted to save MY changed password.

Can anyone give some advice on what's happening there?

Thanks,
Doug

morestuff

Post by morestuff »

spidermedic wrote: Thanks for this thread. I'm a fairly new PHPBB2 admin and just disabled my board as I was getting up to 10 spammer registrations a day.

One thing that really concerns me is that when I would delete some of these users, it would ask if I wanted to save MY changed password.

Can anyone give some advice on what's happening there?

Thanks,
Doug

that is because your browser ( FF ) is trying to help you by filling in the form for you.
either turn it off in your options, or install the Autofill fix
MOD to change all the form names, or just be sure to change it whenever you are using it.

jaysfive

VIP Code

Post by jaysfive »

I installed this mod but can't find out where a new user would insert the VIP code

Albert Wiersch

Re: VIP Code

Post by Albert Wiersch »

jaysfive wrote: I installed this mod but can't find out where a new user would insert the VIP code

On the register page it will be one of the fields, just below the visual confirmation if you have that enabled.

jaysfive

VIP Code

Post by jaysfive »

No sign of it. I'm a 69 year old web idiot so please go easy on me. Here's my url:
http://www.newtonhill.org.uk/phpbb/prof ... greed=true

Albert Wiersch

Re: VIP Code

Post by Albert Wiersch »

jaysfive wrote: No sign of it. I'm a 69 year old web idiot so please go easy on me. Here's my url:
http://www.newtonhill.org.uk/phpbb/prof ... greed=true

It should be there. You probably didn't install the mod properly. Make sure everything has been correctly installed.

Of course you'll also need to modify the VIP code to your own choosing, place it somewhere on your site, and edit the text to tell the user where to find it.

jaysfive

Ta

Post by jaysfive »

Thanks, will check and re-install. In which file would the revised form appear

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”