Split from spam topic [*Read The First Post*]

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Albert Wiersch
Registered User
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Name: Albert Wiersch
Contact:

Re: Ta

Post by Albert Wiersch »

jaysfive wrote: Thanks, will check and re-install. In which file would the revised form appear


templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl

or, maybe you are using a different theme other than subSilver and so you would need to edit the correct file for the theme you're using.

jaysfive
Registered User
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:30 pm

Help much appreciated

Post by jaysfive »

Oops, I had changed the file but forgot to save it.
Next question: do I just change your "2468" in "includes/usercp_register.php" to get it to work or is there more to it

Albert Wiersch
Registered User
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Name: Albert Wiersch
Contact:

Re: Help much appreciated

Post by Albert Wiersch »

jaysfive wrote: Oops, I had changed the file but forgot to save it.
Next question: do I just change your "2468" in "includes/usercp_register.php" to get it to work or is there more to it


I would recommend changing "2468" to whatever you want but you don't HAVE to.

After that, you need to put the VIP code on your site somewhere and make sure that the references to where the user can get the VIP are pointing the user to the correct page.

Here's mine:
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/CSEForum/p ... greed=true

I put my VIP code on the support page.

jaysfive
Registered User
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:30 pm

Hooray

Post by jaysfive »

Fixed, many thanks. My site was becoming a spammers paradise.

L6vi
Registered User
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:51 am

Post by L6vi »

Marshal, could I pay you for assisting me in backing up my entire forum, and then trying to update it to the latest phpBB version without losing my mods? I'm sure it would take some time, and I am willing to pay.

phild
Registered User
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:05 pm

Post by phild »

____________
Regards
Phil

mw-dnb
Registered User
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 21, 2002 12:12 am

Post by mw-dnb »

great thread. i'm going to go about this my own way with a bit of hackery and custom scripting with bans from custom tables i setup.

however - i think the biggest problem lays in the visual confirmation coding. Gtk and GDlib can both output some crazy images to constru things and i believe the phpbb team could enhance just that feature and put a stop to a lot of this madness.

i just started carpet banning common usernames, spammer 'domains' and anytime 2 guests (banned users) share the same IP it gets blocked.
The brighest light burns out the quickest and you burn so very bright.
www.elementsofbass.com | For the breakbeat hardcore

alan keys
Registered User
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:09 am

Post by alan keys »

anyone know a mod whereby if the registered user posts a message with a banned word they immediately deleted.

lets face it, thats what we should be doing. We can put a warning note up front then if a user types any of the dr*g or po*n favorite expressions they are;

instantly banned.. no messing about simply deleted and banned from rejoining.

anyone seen this mod ????
.

User avatar
abertoll
Registered User
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:13 am
Contact:

How about nofollow?

Post by abertoll »

As far as link-back spam goes (on the memberlist), can't we just add "nofollow" to the homepage links in the memberlist? That should at least make it worthless for the bots to bother.

User avatar
Ramon Fincken
Registered User
Posts: 4835
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:04 am
Location: NL, The Netherlands Amsterdam area @GMT +1
Contact:

Re: How about nofollow?

Post by Ramon Fincken »

abertoll wrote: As far as link-back spam goes (on the memberlist), can't we just add "nofollow" to the homepage links in the memberlist? That should at least make it worthless for the bots to bother.


that isn't going to help the text of the url is still there..

use this if you want to 'hide' your memberlist:
http://www.phpbbinstallers.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=41
http://www.phpbbinstallers.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=42
alan keys wrote: anyone know a mod whereby if the registered user posts a message with a banned word they immediately deleted.

lets face it, thats what we should be doing. We can put a warning note up front then if a user types any of the dr*g or po*n favorite expressions they are;

instantly banned.. no messing about simply deleted and banned from rejoining.

anyone seen this mod ????
.

Instant ban is bad.. I advise you not to use any mod that 'instant bans' a user.

Take a look at this one:
Block all fields with forbidden words:
- http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 09#2148409
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here

alan keys
Registered User
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:09 am

Re: How about nofollow?

Post by alan keys »

[ Instant ban is bad.. I advise you not to use any mod that 'instant bans' a user.]


i dont know why you think that. all dr*g postings are by machines and they also deposit a website that then gets spidered. this is extremely harmful to you site !!!

eevn worse are th p*rn sellers that then deposit dreadful p*rn sites and allow these to get spidered from your pages. the last thing on earth you want.

pls explain your point of views

any other readers if u know of a mod to instantly delete members that post particular words pls let me know on this thread......

Albert Wiersch
Registered User
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Name: Albert Wiersch
Contact:

Re: How about nofollow?

Post by Albert Wiersch »

alan keys wrote: i dont know why you think that. all dr*g postings are by machines and they also deposit a website that then gets spidered. this is extremely harmful to you site !!!


Because instant delete of users may end up deleting a legitimate user... perhaps someone complaining of porn or someone posting something legitimate that the mod thinks is banned when it really shouldn't be.

User avatar
Ramon Fincken
Registered User
Posts: 4835
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:04 am
Location: NL, The Netherlands Amsterdam area @GMT +1
Contact:

Re: How about nofollow?

Post by Ramon Fincken »

Albert Wiersch wrote:
alan keys wrote:i dont know why you think that. all dr*g postings are by machines and they also deposit a website that then gets spidered. this is extremely harmful to you site !!!


Because instant delete of users may end up deleting a legitimate user... perhaps someone complaining of porn or someone posting something legitimate that the mod thinks is banned when it really shouldn't be.


exactly...

I've installed mods that did that on some boards and in the end...

IP's were spoofed and proxies used..
Innocent users were banned so I had to remove those mods..
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here

asdil12
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:50 pm
Contact:

Cracker Tracker Professional 2nd Edition

Post by asdil12 »

I prefer Cracker Tracker Professional 2nd Edition
[link removed]
Image

alan keys
Registered User
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:09 am

Post by alan keys »

gents

what do you recommend then for automatic posters that allways leave p*rn URL's as their websites ?
its not the messages that are a problem it is the posting of websites with illegal content. to which u then link..

Locked

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”