Permissions not working

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
BarryMoore

Post by BarryMoore »

dhn wrote: search the forum, I think it was discussed somewhere

Thanks. I searched on my initial problem (permissions not staying as I set them) and found some usefull comments. It was only recently that I suspected the MySQL version issue. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree anyway. I've tried searching using variations of MySQL, 3.x, 4.x, version etc but can't find anything relating to this. I'm probably not phrasing my search parameters very well. Do you have a hint as to what else to search on to find the discussion you were thinking of?
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

Searching for "mysql4" brought up this topic
psoTFX wrote: You should make sure you select the right DB while installing. At present there are no differences in the code which prevent MySQL4 installs working on MySQL3.x (the transaction code will simply not be effective in 3.x). However future versions will see support for sub-selects, etc. as they become available ... these will most certainly cause the forum to fail on a MySQL 3.x install.
Heimidal
Former Team Member

Post by Heimidal »

My only question would be 'What if we upgrade to MySQL 4?' There's no where to change it.
BarryMoore

Post by BarryMoore »

dhn wrote: Searching for "mysql4" brought up this topic

:oops: Doh!! I always left a gap before the digit. Thanks for that.
psoTFX wrote: At present there are no differences in the code which prevent MySQL4 installs working on MySQL3.x

OK so it looks like this MySQL version issue isn't the problem that's stopping the permissions from staying as I set them then. I've changed the $dbms value in config.php from mysql4 to mysql as instructed in the topic you found. There was no reply to the last post in that forum about whether there was anywhere else that needed a change made so I assume there is not.

That still leaves me with my original problem of the permissions not staying as I have set them though. Ruled out the database version as a potential problem. Does anyone have any other ideas on what I could check.
Blackman

Post by Blackman »

BarryMoore wrote:
dhn wrote: Searching for "mysql4" brought up this topic

:oops: Doh!! I always left a gap before the digit. Thanks for that.
psoTFX wrote: At present there are no differences in the code which prevent MySQL4 installs working on MySQL3.x

OK so it looks like this MySQL version issue isn't the problem that's stopping the permissions from staying as I set them then. I've changed the $dbms value in config.php from mysql4 to mysql as instructed in the topic you found. There was no reply to the last post in that forum about whether there was anywhere else that needed a change made so I assume there is not.

That still leaves me with my original problem of the permissions not staying as I have set them though. Ruled out the database version as a potential problem. Does anyone have any other ideas on what I could check.

Im having the exact same problem! :( were you able to fix it?

Cheers,
BarryMoore

Post by BarryMoore »

Blackman wrote: Im having the exact same problem! :( were you able to fix it?

Cheers,

I was going to post a follow up in a few days after a bit more setting up and checking but it looks like it was my host that was causing the problem - I'm in the process of moving now. While they had a good web server the connection to the database seemed really slow at times. Someone has mentioned running MySQL in safe mode which may have contibuted to the problem.
diversifiedtechnology

Post by diversifiedtechnology »

i am having a similar problem.... i have the forum set up for mods..but i cant set anyone as a mod.. i go to change the user permission and it says it is done..but go back in there and it is set to how it was before i changed it..(no mod)..any clues??
BarryMoore

Post by BarryMoore »

diversifiedtechnology wrote: any clues??

Try a different host
TRX

Problem with permissions

Post by TRX »

I have a problem that I can't find on this board,

I set up my board and forums, then set all the catergories to their permissions in advanced mode.
All this worked fine.

But then the next day I added a couple of catagories then went to set the permissions, it worked in simple mode, but when I clicked advance mode it keeps going to the forum login screen.

Also got the avatar upload problem, it worked to begin with but now doesn't, I have done everything that I have found on this forum from adding a new avatar folder to the gallery or tmp folder to the base url, and editing the profile.php all folders are chmod correctly 777

Im just lost now. Gallery works ok its the users can't upload custom avatars.

But the main problem is permissions.

Help please.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”