Could not locate valid language pack

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
darone

Post by darone »

I just downloaded the upgrade changed files for 2.0.20 to 2.0.22 and uploaded the files and chose to replace all the old files.

I ran the install/update_to_latest.php and it went fine. I deleted the install/ directory. It said to delete another directory that started with a 'c', but I didn't see it in any of the folders.

Now when I go to the forum it says:

phpBB : Critical Error

-------------------------

What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance!
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Could not locate valid language pack

Post by ric323 »

The "other" directory you mention is "contrib". It doesn't matter if it wasn't there.

Please fill in the "Support Request Template" to tell us about your forum.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
espicom

Post by espicom »

Quite likely, you did your initial installation with Fantastico, because it does not do them correctly. One of the things it neglects to configure is the default board language... and the latest versions of phpBB need that to work correctly (it fixes problems some non-English boards have had in the past).

http://espi.com/text/validate_phpbb_v22.php.txt

RIGHT click on the link above, and select "save as". Save it to your local disk. You then upload it as "validate_phpbb_v22.php" to your PHPBB directory, and run it with your browser. The results will tell you what fields and/or tables are missing.

If anything shows up in red, other than the database version number, copy the "bbcode version" of the report from the text box at the bottom of the page and paste into a reply here (not inside a QUOTE or CODE tag, please!), so that we can see what the results were.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
Cmonk

Post by Cmonk »

I did NOT post the original question, but came up with the exact same errors when trying to upgrade.
I DID delete both the install and contrib folders.

I ran your file and come up with some errors in red. Here's the text from the report:

Required table phpbb_auth_access has all required fields
Required table phpbb_user_group has all required fields
Required table phpbb_groups has all required fields
Required table phpbb_banlist has all required fields
Required table phpbb_categories has all required fields
Required table phpbb_config has all required fields
Required table phpbb_confirm has all required fields
Required table phpbb_disallow has all required fields
Required table phpbb_forum_prune has all required fields
Required table phpbb_forums has all required fields
Required table phpbb_posts has all required fields
Required table phpbb_posts_text has all required fields
Required table phpbb_privmsgs has all required fields
Required table phpbb_privmsgs_text has all required fields
Required table phpbb_ranks has all required fields
Required table phpbb_search_results has all required fields
Required table phpbb_search_wordlist has all required fields
Required table phpbb_search_wordmatch has all required fields
Required table phpbb_sessions has all required fields
Required table phpbb_sessions_keys has all required fields
Required table phpbb_smilies has all required fields
Required table phpbb_themes has all required fields
Required table phpbb_themes_name has all required fields
Required table phpbb_topics has all required fields
Required table phpbb_topics_watch has all required fields
Required table phpbb_users has all required fields
Required table phpbb_vote_desc has all required fields
Required table phpbb_vote_results has all required fields
Required table phpbb_vote_voters has all required fields
Required table phpbb_words has all required fields

Database reports it is version 2.0.22.
Required configuration keys allow_autologin, max_autologin_time, max_login_attempts, login_reset_time, search_flood_interval, rand_seed, default_lang are missing!

Style 'subSilver' supports Visual Confirmation for registration, supports Visual Confirmation configuration option,
supports Auto Logon configuration option, supports Maximum login count configuration option.

Extension Zlib, which will enhance the security of the standard Visual Confirmation image, is available.
Extension GD, necessary for the FREECAP replacement for the Visual Confirmation image, is available.
Extension Multibyte String is installed.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

Your database is missing several required items
This article will help you update it: Knowledge Base - Manually update database schema

How did you do your install? i.e. How did your databse get into this state, and yet report that it is 2.0.22?
(One possibility is if you are on Yahoo hosting. That can cause a problem with this fix also...)
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
espicom

Post by espicom »

Yes, the things that are missing are kind of strange... It's the default_lang variable that is the direct cause of your problem. The variables can be manually entered into the config table. Check the link Ric gave you. The default values for all of these variables are found in the /install/schemas directory of the install archive for phpBB 2.0.22, in "mysql_basic.sql".
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
Cmonk

Post by Cmonk »

Yeah, it has me puzzled too. I really appreciate your help. I installed phpBB 2.0.20 through my web host (ipower) then saw the notice for the need to update to 2.0.22. I then followed the update instructions after downloading the update from the phpBB website the link directed me to. Everything seemed to go as clock work until I went to sign in.

I should say, this is my first time trying to set up a bulletin board. I'm completely new to all of this.

In any case,
I ran the fix.php file and got additional errors. I have deleted the fix.php file from my directory as instructed.

Here's the report text:

Some queries failed

If the problem persists, please start a topic in the support forum with a link to this article and the exact error displayed. Be sure to delete this file! A detailed report follows:

Query 1: CREATE TABLE phpbb_confirm (`confirm_id` char(32) NOT NULL default '', `session_id` char(32) NOT NULL default '', `code` char(6) NOT NULL default '', PRIMARY KEY (`session_id`,`confirm_id`)) TYPE=MyISAM;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Query 2: ALTER TABLE phpbb_sessions ADD COLUMN session_admin tinyint(2) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Query 3: CREATE TABLE phpbb_sessions_keys (`key_id` varchar(32) NOT NULL default '0', `user_id` mediumint(8) NOT NULL default '0', `last_ip` varchar(8) NOT NULL default '0', `last_login` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', PRIMARY KEY (`key_id`,`user_id`), KEY `last_login` (`last_login`)) TYPE=MyISAM;
Query 4: UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_active = 0 WHERE user_id = -1
Query 5: INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('allow_autologin','1')
Query 6: INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('max_autologin_time','0')
Query 7: ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD COLUMN user_last_login_try int(11) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL
Status: Error (Duplicate column name 'user_last_login_try')
Query 8: ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD COLUMN user_login_tries smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL default '0'
Query 9: INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('max_login_attempts', '5')
Query 10: INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('login_reset_time', '30')
Query 11: ALTER TABLE phpbb_search_results ADD COLUMN `search_time` int(11) NOT NULL default '0'
Query 12: INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('search_flood_interval', '15')
Query 13: INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('rand_seed', '0')
Query 14: ALTER TABLE phpbb_search_results MODIFY COLUMN search_array MEDIUMTEXT NOT NULL
Query 15: UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '.0.22' WHERE config_name = 'version'
Query 16: TRUNCATE TABLE phpbb_sessions
Query 17: TRUNCATE TABLE phpbb_sessions_keys

Should I try and just wipe the slate clean and do a complete re-install and see what happens? It doesn't sound like any of this is going to be a quick fix. Of course, I could be right back where I started.

Thank you for being patient with me. I really appreciate it. :)
Cmonk

Post by Cmonk »

OK... I just tried logging in and was successful!!

BUT even though I am logging in under my administrator login name it won't recognize me as the administrator or show a link at the bottom to go to the administrators panel.

It seems I am so close... yet SO FAR AWAY from having this thing fixed.

How frustrating...
Argh :cry:
DarkatComputers

Post by DarkatComputers »

I have this problem which was caused when i tried to do a structure only restore?

Required configuration keys config_id, board_disable, sitename, site_desc, cookie_name, cookie_path, cookie_domain, cookie_secure, session_length, allow_html, allow_html_tags, allow_bbcode, allow_smilies, allow_sig, allow_namechange, allow_theme_create, allow_avatar_local, allow_avatar_remote, allow_avatar_upload, enable_confirm, allow_autologin, max_autologin_time, override_user_style, posts_per_page, topics_per_page, hot_threshold, max_poll_options, max_sig_chars, max_inbox_privmsgs, max_sentbox_privmsgs, max_savebox_privmsgs, board_email_sig, board_email, smtp_delivery, smtp_host, smtp_username, smtp_password, sendmail_fix, require_activation, flood_interval, board_email_form, avatar_filesize, avatar_max_width, avatar_max_height, avatar_path, avatar_gallery_path, smilies_path, default_style, default_dateformat, board_timezone, prune_enable, privmsg_disable, gzip_compress, coppa_fax, coppa_mail, record_online_users, record_online_date, server_name, server_port, script_path, version, max_login_attempts, login_reset_time, search_flood_interval, rand_seed, search_min_chars, default_lang, board_startdate are missing!

Extension Zlib, which will enhance the security of the standard Visual Confirmation image, is available.
Extension GD, necessary for the FREECAP replacement for the Visual Confirmation image, is available.
abusedemailaddress

Post by abusedemailaddress »

It looks like someone/something emptied the phpbb_config table; the list the test program came up with is pretty much every configuration variable in phpBB!

If you have a recent backup, use a text editor to remove JUST the entries with "INSERT INTO phpbb_config" in front of them, save those to a new file, and restore that. Otherwise, you will have to use the file /install/schemas/mysql_basic.sql from the phpBB installation archive as your basis, and then reconfigure the board defaults again.

To fix problems with some non-english languages, the later versions of phpBB don't make an assumption about the language to use. Most of the other variables in phpbb_config have defaults within the program, so it is possible to "get by" without a lot of them in place.
The abuse will continue until morale improves!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

if you did a stucture only restore, I hope it did not include DROP TABLE commands. If it did then all your data is gone.

all that stuff in the red is not part of the basic structure but has to be there.

do you have a complete backup of the database?

if so, do a complete restore to get every thing back, then do the instsall/update_to_latest.php file and you should be ok.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
AGC

Post by AGC »

If all his data was delete , then it wont be a OK green message for the other tables. So most likely the data is intact. :idea: :arrow:
(phpBB 2.0.x): []Admin Topics List[] MOD. << Description & Download. , []Highlight Author[] MOD.

Donate-paypal
(phpBB 3.0.x)[ver] MODs: [RC1] >Import old *.pak files MOD. + . . .[8] > ACP - Modules Quick Access (MQA) MOD. + . . . [7-PL1] > Multi Smile (actions) MOD
abusedemailaddress

Post by abusedemailaddress »

The test script does not check for the existence of records in any of the tables, other than phpbb_config. So, it is quite possible for everything else to come up green with a blank database.
The abuse will continue until morale improves!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the reason I bring this up, is because if you do a structure only backup from the admin panel, and then use that to restore trying to just replace the structure, then you will lose everything.

the phpbb database backup automatically puts the DROP TABLE IF EXISTS command before every CREATE TABLE command.

therefore, it will drop all the tables thus deleting the entire database and not replacing it with any of the old data.

so, always do a complete backup or at least do both structure and data.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
zeeshankh

Post by zeeshankh »

these are my results, i think everything is there, but the problem is still there!!!

Database reports it is version 2.0.22.
Required configuration keys are all present

Style 'subSilver' supports Visual Confirmation for registration, supports Visual Confirmation configuration option,
supports Auto Logon configuration option, supports Maximum login count configuration option.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”