Integrating Forum into Website

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
t3hd00d

Integrating Forum into Website

Post by t3hd00d »

Hey everyone, Im going to start off my post saying great website and forum! Very clean and professional look. I have a few questions regarding integrating a forum into a website.

I own the website: http://www.ggcorner.info

Im trying to integrate my forum (http://www.ggcorner.info/forum) into a page of the website. I tried doing this by inserting an iframe into the page and linking it to my forum (attempt: http://www.ggcorner.info/forum.php)

Can someone please tell me how to make my forum just big enough to fit nicely into that iframe (width wise)?
Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a style or theme that would work nicely with the current template I have going on now?

Thanks.
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Re: Integrating Forum into Website

Post by Noxwizard »

The best way, in my opinion, is to edit the template that the forum uses, and make it look like your website. First, you edit templates/{your_template}/overall_header.tpl and overall_footer.tpl to include your website's navigation. Then it looks like the forum is inside the site. If you want to look themed, you will need to edit the rest of the template files and colors to make it fit the style.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
t3hd00d

Post by t3hd00d »

My website nav is on the side.
Once again I need to integrate the forum into an iframe and make it fit my template.
Could someone else take a closer look..?
Thanks for the advice anyhow.
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

The problem is that the sum of the text, the width of the logo, plus the margins exceeds the width you've given to the iframe. You can try taking the logo out to reduce the total pixels in width. Since you have set "scrolling" to no, you will need to set a height which ensures that the entire forum fits vertically. You may want to set scrolling to "auto" so that long posts, or posted images don't cause the board to stretch out of sight.
bum63

Post by bum63 »

why don't you try ezportal, works fine and it's easy to install
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

The goal isn't to make the forum look like a website, but to make it look like part of an existing website.
t3hd00d

Post by t3hd00d »

Okay, I deleted the logo and chose a style that fits fairly well.
How can I make the overall width of the forum smaller? Like possibly make the size of the tables width all generally smaller. This way the forum will fit perfectly.
All and ANY advice is appreciated.
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

For the new template that you switched to, it is a different problem. There is a predefined width on the outer table which you need to change.

Open: templates/cs_green/overall_header.tpl
Find:

Code: Select all

<table width="800" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center" id="maintable">
Change the "800" to "100%".
t3hd00d

Post by t3hd00d »

Thank you, it worked.
Quick question. How do I change the picture under the top nav for the forum (register, search, faq, etc.)

Also, how do I go about changing the background colour from that close to black colour to 5d5d5d
I changed it in the style management but that did not work. I still need to change the blackish background colour.

Also, how do I make an iframe be as long as the page being viewed in it. For example, some pages in my forum are longer or shorter than others. I dont want to set a fixed height (500 pixels) for my forum because it may be too long for some pages and too short for others. Instead I want the Iframe to stretch to be as long as necessary to show all the content and stop.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

t3hd00d wrote:Thank you, it worked.
Quick question. How do I change the picture under the top nav for the forum (register, search, faq, etc.)

Also, how do I go about changing the background colour from that close to black colour to 5d5d5d
I changed it in the style management but that did not work. I still need to change the blackish background colour.

Also, how do I make an iframe be as long as the page being viewed in it. For example, some pages in my forum are longer or shorter than others. I dont want to set a fixed height (500 pixels) for my forum because it may be too long for some pages and too short for others. Instead I want the Iframe to stretch to be as long as necessary to show all the content and stop.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

this is one of the reasons not to use the iframe. from what I have been able to learn, there is no good way to set the height of an iframe to anything like 100%. you can set it to a set number of pixels, but if your page gets longer than that, it will scroll or be hidden.

that is why using iframes is not the best way to do this.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

Most of the colors will be set by the .css file for that template. There is one way to get your iframe to work at 100% height, but it requires javascript code to dynamically resize the iframe. It's not pretty, but it gives the desired results.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicinde ... messi2.htm
t3hd00d

Post by t3hd00d »

I tried editing the .css file but I could not fidn the right line of code to change the overall black background. Could someone point it out to me?>

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”