Can't restore database

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
dimitris18

Can't restore database

Post by dimitris18 »

Hi! I've tried to restore a back up several times but every time i get this message:

"Information
No file was uploaded"

what can be wrong?
Thanks
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: Can't restore database

Post by karlsemple »

How are you trying to restore the files? and how large is the backup file?
dimitris18

Post by dimitris18 »

karlsemple wrote:How are you trying to restore the files? and how large is the backup file?
I've saved the backup file in my computer. Then i went to the new forum i've clicked the "choose file" button, i've selected the backup file and pushed "start restore". The file is 2,8 Mb
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

dimitris18 wrote:
karlsemple wrote:How are you trying to restore the files? and how large is the backup file?
I've saved the backup file in my computer. Then i went to the new forum i've clicked the "choose file" button, i've selected the backup file and pushed "start restore". The file is 2,8 Mb
That never told me how you are restoring so I will assume that you are using the forum Admin panel to restore, phpBB is limited by the php settings on the server, as such most hosts will have kept the default upload limit set in the php.ini of 2mb meaning backups over this will not restore. you will have to use another method of restoring.....

You could try BigDump
BigDump is very easy to use.

1. copy your current config.php to your computer

2. open the bigdump.php file in a text editor ( wordpad is fine )

3. where it asks for the database info, put in what is in your config.php file

bigdump.php:

Code: Select all

// Database configuration

$db_server   = "your info here";

$db_name     = "your info here";

$db_username = "your info here";

$db_password = "your info here";

now, in the bigdump.php file, find this:

Code: Select all

$delaypersession = 0; 
change the 0 to 300 and save the file.

4. using ftp, go to your server and create a folder in your phpbb folder, name it dump

5. upload your backup sql file and the bigdump.php file to that "dump" folder

6. in your browser, go to; yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/dump/bigdump.php

you should see the name of your backup file and a link to start the restore,

click on that and wait. It will take some time for large files, but as long as you get no errors and it does not stop, then wait until you get a success message and you are done.

7. when you have a successful restore, be sure to delete or rename the dump folder as it is a security issue if you don't.

that's it.
dimitris18

Post by dimitris18 »

I did what you said and the procedure started. However some hour now the progress bar does not seem to fill . And it has this message:
"Now I'm waiting 300 milliseconds before starting next session..."
What's going on?
I can give you the address if you want to see what I'm talking about..
Argalius

Post by Argalius »

I have a very similar problem, however when I want to try to start the import of my .sql file I get this error:
Error at the line 12: INSERT INTO forum_banlist (ban_id, ban_userid, ban_ip, ban_email) VALUES('1', '21', '', NULL);

Query: INSERT INTO forum_banlist (ban_id, ban_userid, ban_ip, ban_email) VALUES('1', '21', '', NULL);

MySQL: Duplicate entry '1' for key 1
I tried to delete that line, but then the first line gets an error so it's something else. Any help?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

your backup file apparently does not have the DROP TABLE commands in it.

what you can do is open your backup file in a text editor like wordpad or better yet, editpad lite.

then do a search and replace

replace every instance of :

INSERT INTO

with:

REPLACE INTO

that will eleminate those duplicate errors.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
yaw_pakhtoon

Post by yaw_pakhtoon »

so.. did it work.. cause if it work, i need to do that too..
Lumpy Burgertushie

yaw_pakhtoon wrote:so.. did it work.. cause if it work, i need to do that too..
so why not try it and see if it works.

just do backups of everything and you can't go wrong.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Jeen

Post by Jeen »

I have a biiiig problem. Our server is investigating possible exploitation after admin accounts on my site were deleted, 200+ other member accounts, and thousands of posts from last month. I have a back up from December 6th that I downloaded from the admin panel, and it's desperate that I get it in and restore information on my site. But I can't!

I've followed everything in this thread. I tried to upload the backup via bigdump since it has a massive file-size, but it gave me the same error that it gave Argalius. I downloaded editpad lite and opened it, but the file-size of my backup is so big that my computer runs out of memory and the replacement of "INSERT INTO" to "REPLACE INTO" is halted and then I have to restart my computer.

I have no idea what to do. I have nearly 12,000 members on my forum and everyone's spazzing and dljkf;akdfjgjdfj *panic*
Lumpy Burgertushie

Jeen wrote:I have a biiiig problem. Our server is investigating possible exploitation after admin accounts on my site were deleted, 200+ other member accounts, and thousands of posts from last month. I have a back up from December 6th that I downloaded from the admin panel, and it's desperate that I get it in and restore information on my site. But I can't!

I've followed everything in this thread. I tried to upload the backup via bigdump since it has a massive file-size, but it gave me the same error that it gave Argalius. I downloaded editpad lite and opened it, but the file-size of my backup is so big that my computer runs out of memory and the replacement of "INSERT INTO" to "REPLACE INTO" is halted and then I have to restart my computer.

I have no idea what to do. I have nearly 12,000 members on my forum and everyone's spazzing and dljkf;akdfjgjdfj *panic*
how big is the backup file?

also, when you open it in editpad, go to the bottom and make sure that it did not stop in the middle of the search tables.

robert

Jeen

Post by Jeen »

743 MB (779,152,453 bytes). It's a big forum. lol

It didn't stop in the middle from what I could judge. I get prompted with a "Ran out of memory" alert, and then I can't even open task manager or close the program, hence I have to restart. I just have no idea how to get around this and still get the database restored with it.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Jeen wrote:743 MB (779,152,453 bytes). It's a big forum. lol

It didn't stop in the middle from what I could judge. I get prompted with a "Ran out of memory" alert, and then I can't even open task manager or close the program, hence I have to restart. I just have no idea how to get around this and still get the database restored with it.
probably you will have to ask your host to restore it for you. you can upload it via ftp to a folder on your server and they can do it from there.

you will probably want to zip it up before you upload it.

ask them to check to see if it is complete. make sure that all the tables after the search tables are there.

If you would like to PM me a link to a zipped up copy , I will see if I can open it and check it for you.

robert

Jeen

Post by Jeen »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: probably you will have to ask your host to restore it for you. you can upload it via ftp to a folder on your server and they can do it from there.

you will probably want to zip it up before you upload it.

ask them to check to see if it is complete. make sure that all the tables after the search tables are there.

If you would like to PM me a link to a zipped up copy , I will see if I can open it and check it for you.

robert
The file is already uploaded onto our server since we contacted our host and they told us they would do it for us, but of course they haven't, since they are completely, totally unhelpful in every sense of the word. We asked them to do it days ago and they said they'd put it on our support ticket and NOTHING has been done about it. *bangs head* They haven't even gotten back to us in bothering to confirm if we were hacked or not.

I didn't zip it up when I uploaded it. Just put the whole file in there as it was since that's what they told me to do. I'm going to try to call them for the millionth time and see if I can beg and plead them to stop playing solitaire and do it. I'll ask them to check the tables and I'll get back to you.

Thank you though. I'm so glad you're being so helpful. One question though, will they be able to restore the site regardless of every instance of INSERT INTO not being REPLACE INTO in the backup? Or should they have the file that says that? If they do, then I'm screeeewed.
Xboxsosmart

Post by Xboxsosmart »

Correct me if im wrong, but since you have a database of files, couldn't you just program what folder to backup?
Just put all of the tables you want to backup in the folder you program to backup, and...

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”