Mass Email from Admin CP

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
SteveEBoy

Mass Email from Admin CP

Post by SteveEBoy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:30 pm

I've been searching here and Googling like mad on this problem for a few days now, I've found and tried various solutions hger and from Google for what looked like the same (or at elast a very similar problem) but so far I haven't cracked it. I'm new to php and to phpBB but trying to learn what I can as I go.

I'm hosting the phpBB2 forum on a 1and1.co.uk server. I can successfully PM between users and email between users. What I can't do is use the "mass email" function in the Admin CP to send emails to all board members. I've tried with and without SMTP enabled. If I try and use SMTP I get "connection refused" and no emails are sent at all. If I try not using SMTP I get a PHP error reported but interestingly an email does go to the email address of the admin user only - not any of the other board users just the admin user address (I've set up a single dummy user account to test with - using a genuine email address).

I've had lengthy email exchanges about this with 1and1 support but it hasn't produced any results. I've confirmed via Telnet that port 25 and 586 (?) are both OK for SMTP (i.e. not blocked). I've tried port 26 - didn't help. 1and1 use authentication on SMTP but I think that's covered when we supply an SMTP username/password in the Admin CP in the "email" section.

I've about exhausted my abilities on this so before I give up does anyone have any suggestions or pointers to resources I could look at ? I've tried various solutions found by others and posted on these boards and found by Google searches - no success so far.

Thanks for any ideas.

Steve

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Mass Email from Admin CP

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:38 pm

bottom line here is that your host is in control of the mail servers. phpbb only accesses them using either the builtin php mail function or smtp.

how many members are you trying to send to?
this is usually a problem with the host's limits on number of emails per hour, etc.

what email address are you using for the board address?

some hosts require that the from address be on the same domain as the board.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

SteveEBoy

Post by SteveEBoy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:49 pm

thanks for the reply.

At present I'm only sending to 2 members while I test it before putting it live - one is the admin user and 1 is a test user I created. I did wonder about too many addresses but don't think it's that - 1and1 claim they will block outgoing if >=100 recipients (not mails) or >=50 mails to the same recipient. Assuming that's what they have actually done I've ruled that out but you're right, it could still be them.

When you say "what email address are you using for the board address" ? Is that the Admin email address in teh Config section of the Admin CP ? If so I've got it set to the same address as the admin user and it happens to be the same as the SMTP address I'm providing when I try to connect using SMTP.

The "from address" is on the same domain as the board - wasn't sure if that was going to be an issue but fortunately it was convenient to do it that way for me so I'm hoping that one is covered.

I've been getting teh same impression from what I've beenr eading - the host is in control of the SMTP servers etc and so far they haven't really been much help, they ahve tried I guess, but not that much.

Steve

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:55 pm

try this:

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
includes/emailer.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
         $to = ($to == '') ? (($board_config['sendmail_fix']) ? ' ' : 'Undisclosed-recipients:;') : $to;

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------
#change to reflect your account details
#
         $to = ($to == '') ? (($board_config['sendmail_fix']) ? ' ' : 'emailaccount@yourdomain.com;') : $to;

#
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]------------------------------------------
#

SteveEBoy

Post by SteveEBoy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:55 am

Hello again. I tried changing the emailer.php scrip like you suggested and got these results:

With SMTP selected:

Could not connect to smtp host : 111 : Connection refused

DEBUG MODE

Line : 112
File : smtp.php

no emails were sent to any user account

Without SMTP selected

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 235
File : emailer.php

but email sent to admin user email address

Same as before - does that mean whatever the problem is it's happening before I hit the changed code ?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:20 am

well, when you have smtp selected, you don't use the emailer.php file at all.

so that change would not affect it if you are using smtp.

like I said before, you are going to have to contact your host. don't bother telling them that you are using phpbb, then will just beg off saying they dont' support third party software.

just ask them how to send email using the email servers that you are paying for.

robert

SteveEBoy

Post by SteveEBoy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:49 am

I've been in contact with my host several times - mostly their suggestions cover things I've already tried and didn't make any difference.

Their latest reply is that I use "Squirrel mail" - don't know if I can integrate that with phpBB. Anyone know ?

Thanks

Steve

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:45 pm

SteveEBoy wrote:I've been in contact with my host several times - mostly their suggestions cover things I've already tried and didn't make any difference.

Their latest reply is that I use "Squirrel mail" - don't know if I can integrate that with phpBB. Anyone know ?

Thanks

Steve
that is a web based email program so you can check your emaI on a web page instead of using a email program like outlook express, etc.

I would look for a host that knows what they are doing.

robert

SteveEBoy

Post by SteveEBoy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:52 pm

:D I agree - they haven't been any use at all, just replaying my original questions back in their eplies to my queries and generally not helping or answering specific questions.

I haven't been able to progress this problem so I will try and work around it. Not the end of the world but disappointing all the same.

Thanks very much for taking the time to try and help, much appreciated. I'm still elarning lots by just reading teh topics on this board.

Steve

cooder

Post by cooder » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:59 pm

I also am having this problem. I would be curious to know if you have found a fix to this?

TIA

cooder

Post by cooder » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:23 pm

It looks like 1and1 only allow 99 e-mails at a time.

It also looks like if you set up usergroups then you can mass mail the group (as long as it is under 99).

Weird.

sbourdon

Post by sbourdon » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:01 am

Found an easy fix for this one:
simply add a valid email address to the Anonymous user account!

It does work for me! :mrgreen:

Hope this helps!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”