members passwords

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
razorback666

members passwords

Post by razorback666 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:48 am

after having my site hacked by a member, they started deleting and altering posts,in my username they also banned members too,so i had to start from scratch and delete all members accounts,what i need is to find out how i can find my members passwords so i can add them to another database to make sure this thing never happens again,how can i find their passwords?

Ozzie Gal
Name: Ros

Re: members passwords

Post by Ozzie Gal » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:06 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but once you delete a member then they're removed from the database so there would be no details, including password to find.

Why didn't you just ban/delete the offending member who caused the trouble and change your password?

Regards
Ros
Communication is the key to success in all things that life endeavours...

razorback666

Post by razorback666 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:10 am

because they somehow got hold of my password and they was acting as me, they did not post anything just altering and deleting members,the only thing that was different was the ip address but they could of used any pc even from a internet cafe

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:22 am

razorback666 wrote:because they somehow got hold of my password and they was acting as me, they did not post anything just altering and deleting members,the only thing that was different was the ip address but they could of used any pc even from a internet cafe
even if you could find the users passwords, they are md5 hashed and you can't crack that.

if you have a database backup, then all your members info is still there , along with everything else.

you could go in and change your admin password or create a new admin account, etc.

restore your database and have everything back.

if you do not have a backup, then you are just startting over from scratch.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

razorback666

Post by razorback666 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:31 am

i have back up but i don't know who was the offending member,but i have changed the way members register now,must protect the site from rogue members,any way thankyou for your help :D

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:46 am

razorback666 wrote:i have back up but i don't know who was the offending member,but i have changed the way members register now,must protect the site from rogue members,any way thankyou for your help :D
doesn't matter who the offending member was, if you remove all other admins and create a new admin account, then they can't get in anymore and cause you any problems.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”