question about Created this page in x seconds

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
thelast

Post by thelast »

My site was getting about 0.9-3.0 seconds... :(

phpBB Created this page in 1.9xxxxx seconds : 0 queries executed : GZIP compression enabled : Debug Mode

hacks.phpbb.com

phpBB Created this page in 0.254489 seconds : 13 queries executed : GZIP compression disabled : Debug Mode

-------

I turned on GZIP, what is it? It made my pages all under 1 sec now.. is it harmful to the server or what?

AlieXai

Post by AlieXai »

> what is it?

Compression method; pages sent to compatible browsers are compressed by the server, then uncompressed by the browser.

> is it harmful to the server or what?

It's not "harmful" to the server however, when enabled, it does create an additional load on the cpu/server, as the data has to be compressed.

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

It does suprise me this shows up in the page-generation time. I would think it was the webserver doing the compression, after PHP generated the page...
Of course, if the board is busy, the compression of other pages will take away CPU-time from PHP, I suppose.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Good point. I think it's strictly output buffer compression, so should not directly affect page generation times if that's correct. Must be an indirect effect in that case.

Berend

Post by Berend »

I turned Gzip off, just to try it and now the pages load in less then one sec. With Gzip it was 1.5 sec.

Strange huh?

Monster

Post by Monster »

I just tested it out... with GZIP it was 0.1 without gzip it was 0.6...

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”