Unwelcome Guest

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
princessmoog

Unwelcome Guest

Post by princessmoog » Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:47 am

Whenever we go to our site (http://www.thetalkboard.co.uk) there is always the same guest online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

They don't just stay in the same place but appear to move around the site and try to post, even though it's not permitted for guests.

I can't believe this person is actually there all the time.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a bug or is there any way we can find out which of our members it is from the admin area or by looking directly at the database?

Thanks

MSENYSZAK

Post by MSENYSZAK » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:03 pm

i dont think you can find out who it is- but does it matter?

princessmoog

Post by princessmoog » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:08 pm

It doesn't matter if they are actually there all the time - apart from making them rather odd.

The thing is I don't think they are actually there in reality. In the admin panel it currently says that they are "viewing private messages" which, as a guest, they can't.

Which made me think that this was a technical problem rather than a psychological problem for the user.

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke » Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:25 pm

It is possible for a guest to be "viewing private messages" according to the who's online summary; viewing the error message "you can not view private messages when you're not logged in" qualifies too ;)

cavycam

Post by cavycam » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:35 am

I just had this problem yesterday. A guest logged on for longer than usual doing four different things. Viewing the forum index, private msg, user profile, and who's online. I banned the IP address to stop it. When I unbanned the IP the guest came right back. I banned the IP again for a longer period and it's now gone.

I checked my web logs and it generated about 1000 requests in 16 hours or about 20% of the requests my site usually gets in one day.

Turns out it is a webcrawler from www.turnitin.com. I have no freaking idea why they're crawling my forum. They didn't appear to be interested in any non-forum stuff.

Looks like they've been visiting my site for the last three weeks.

Hopes this helps others with this problem. BTW my site is http://www.cavycam.com

prince_of_oreon

Post by prince_of_oreon » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:43 am

googleBot loves my forum- there is usually a crawler of some variety on about 20% of the time. I really doubt that my forum is actually being crawled I think the Bot just hangsup somewhere and falls asleep in a musty little corner. Several times it has said that the user was viewing private messages- I dont think you got a nutcase, or psycho-wreck.

If you install the mod for google crawlers it seems to solve the problem.

cavycam

Post by cavycam » Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:20 pm

Final numbers were 1135 requests before I banned the IP address. Thats about 23% of the average daily requests my site gets. They were accessing privmsg.php, index.php, viewonline.php and profile.php about every minute.

My forum is tiny only 6 registered users and < 30 messages so it didn't cause any problems with my site but I've gotten email from someone who says it crashed their board.

Googlebot also crawls my site but only generated 175 requests this week.

prince_of_oreon

Post by prince_of_oreon » Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:23 pm

why'd you ban him? maybe that was a potential 7th member scoping things out- or stalking a user. :roll:

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”