Could phobb2 hose a server?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Omita

Post by Omita »

Hi. My hosting company recently froze my account because they said a script I was running was hosing the computer. Tasking 90% of the processing power and 53% of the RAM. I was only running two programs using scripts... phpBB2 Release 2 and a PhpPolls. Both of these were not being used but are on the site.

There are no dirrect links to either of these sections of the site and I am the only one that knows the paths. In fact I am the only one registared on my phpbb2 forum.

Could the scripts that make up phpbb cause this problem? I think the hosting company is full of it and it really just upset with be because I got a ton of traffic today and they don't really want to hold up their end of the deal.

-Omita

Fubonis

Post by Fubonis »

They're BSing you. If the scripts are just sitting there, then they're not being used, therefore, no RAM/processor usage.

Jarf

Post by Jarf »

This all depends on what is specified in your service contract. Unless you have limits placed on accounts for cpu usage, number of hits, number of bytes transfered, or whatever they claim you are violating, they can't do jack about it if it isnt specified in the terms of service. Tell them to upgrade their equipment, refund your money, or threaten legal action.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Well, what Fubonis said seems to me to be the real issue here. Idle scripts don't do anything but take up space. So it may be that Omita's provider has made some sort of mistake. That's happened before.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Or they are on some kind of witchhunt to excuse slow servers or summin.
super fun rainbow colour sig

Jarf

Post by Jarf »

Omita wrote: ...because I got a ton of traffic today...

I agree too with Fubonis, but this is what I was really referring to ( or confused by)

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

@ Pit - I think we're going to see more of that kind of thing. Servers start coughing and sputtering and suddenly there's an interest in who's got what on their chunk of the server. Easier than actually taking the time to see who's running what maybe?
Last edited by SamG on Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

jarf wrote:
Omita wrote: ...because I got a ton of traffic today...

I agree too with Fubonis, but this is what I was really referring to ( or confused by)

Okay, I get it. That's probably so.

Omita

The problem.

Post by Omita »

From the CTO of my hosting company:

"As you know your site omita.com was suspended earlier today due to a server abuse violation. The problem is due to the scripting that you are running on your website, possibly a forum or chat program, which is using 92% of CPU for large intervals of time as well as 43% memory usage. By consuming these resources for long periods of time you force other clients requests and other server processes to wait until your script completes and frees the resources. Because of this the load on the server becomes higher as more and more processes beging to accumulate until the server is extremely slow or the server crashes. Today the server was on the verge of crashing as the load was well above 350 which is at least 35000% greater than where the load normally resides and is at at this time. "

I later wrote him that I did not know of any scripts that could have caused this on my server and I asked him what script was causing the problem. This was his response.

"Unfortunately we were unable to determine which script it was that was
causing this issue."

So I am not sure how I was blamed for the incedent.

-Omita

Omita

Post by Omita »

jarf wrote: This all depends on what is specified in your service contract. Unless you have limits placed on accounts for cpu usage, number of hits, number of bytes transfered, or whatever they claim you are violating, they can't do jack about it if it isnt specified in the terms of service. Tell them to upgrade their equipment, refund your money, or threaten legal action.

According to my hosing companies rules, excessive processor use is considers "Server Abuse"... I am allowed 10 Gigs of Traffic (bandwidth) a month but there is a catch. They really want the Bandwidth to be spread out over time. They don't want over 1Gig of traffic in a day... which is stupid because they offer a 30Gig account with the same 1Gig a Day rule. Which is dumb... you can't control stuff like that.

Anyway. One of my projects was mentioned on CgChannel.com the other day and I must have been getting a lot of hits because 1,000s of people look at that site.

For now I removed PhpPolls and PhpBB2 until things cool down. I have a funny feeling that someone else on the server was doing something and I just got blamed. After I finish creating a Template on my staging server I am going to put it back on my server and see what happens.

Over all I think that I was just furious because my one-day in the sun was messed up because I was getting too much traffic. After the even I looked at the logs from that day and I didn’t come close to 9 Gigs of Traffic (I have about 800 Mgs of Traffic in 3 hours)… if it happens again I will be moving hosting companies. Or I might just invest in a dedicated server and sell web space to web clients. However; I'm not sure if I want to take that step…

-Omita

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

Well, if it's your provider, either it's as Pit said or they are making some kind of serious mistake. If the scripts on your site were idle or nearly so - if you're sure that only you have access to them and use them - then something is wrong somewhere. The scripts themselves can't take resources other than drive space unless they are being used.

Were you using the polls or BB scripts that day? Is it possible that something was changed in either script that might have made it run abnormally?

I'd like to give your provider the benefit of the doubt since they are not here to defend their decision. But the only way it could be you that I can think of is 1) there is more activity than you seem to be aware of, or 2) there is something damaged or wrong with the scripts themselves. It's just not real to think one user could generate that kind of overhead on a normally running phpBB.

Monster

Post by Monster »

Do you have any server logs you could check to see what is happening her perhaps put a tracker onto all pages on your website...

Maybe someone could be "attacking" your website?

MagiCat

Post by MagiCat »

What probably happened is that someone is using a program that takes up a lot of resources but they couldn't figure out which one so they tossed all the accounts that had programs that could cause this problem.

When I first installed phpBB2, I was crashing my server about twice a day with about 50 users on at a time (and I have a dedicated server.) I upgraded to 256MB RAM and installed PHP-Accelerator and now everything's great.

Talk to the provider about installing PHP-Accelerator, it'll cut the processor usage out because it stops the system from having to compile each PHP page every time.
Test out our reasonably high traffic board at http://www.thetrolls.com/phpbb/

ktvktv

Post by ktvktv »

where can we download this PHP-Accelerator?

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

MagiCat wrote: When I first installed phpBB2, I was crashing my server about twice a day with about 50 users on at a time (and I have a dedicated server.) I upgraded to 256MB RAM and installed PHP-Accelerator and now everything's great.

hhmm, we've got people running 2.0 on very busy (sometimes very loaded) servers without experiencing problems of the kind you mention ... I'd have to wonder what else may be going on with your particular system.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”