What's up with the larger font size?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Dzien Dobry

What's up with the larger font size?

Post by Dzien Dobry » Sun Feb 03, 2002 1:32 am

I've noticed that the board now sports a larger font size. Any comments?

Also (someone) please set me straight. I think I'm seeing different font styles and sizes horribly clashing with each other. How many dissimilar fonts and text sizes are on this page?

Dogma

Post by Dogma » Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:43 am

Nothing's different for me. Are you perhaps using IE? If you are, go to View > Text Size. You might have accidently changed those settings. I managed to do it once using my mouse's scroll wheel 8O
um...tofu...

Coasters2k

Post by Coasters2k » Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:55 am

Yeah IE can change your font settings if you hold down CTRL and scroll the mouse wheel...
Brandon Rodriguez
http://www.coasters2k.com

Dzien Dobry

What am I supposed to see?

Post by Dzien Dobry » Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:27 pm

Yes, I'm using IE. Everything on the board used to be a small font size. Now the message text looks like a 12 pt font.

I was never able to change the size of text on any phpBB 2.0 page using View > Text Size. And it doesn't change now using it. I always thought that the one size screen font was a feature of phpBB 2.0. Is the font size supposed to change for IE users who adjust View > Text Size on this board? For me View > Text Size works on all other web pages except with phpBB 2.0 pages.
Also (someone) please set me straight. I think I'm seeing different font styles and sizes horribly clashing with each other. How many dissimilar fonts and text sizes are on this page?

The question, "How many dissimilar fonts and text sizes are on this page?" must still have an answer regardless of the mysterious text size change and View > Text Size not working in IE. What am I supposed to see with View > Text Size set to medium size?

Dzien Dobry

I'm using IE 5.5 on Windows 95.

Post by Dzien Dobry » Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:08 am

There must be someone out there who can answer my questions.

gameofhit

Post by gameofhit » Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:37 am

I don't really know the answer to this question, but I bet you could sort of figure it out buy looking at both the HTML and the CSS stuff. AFAIK any text with its size defined in px will not change when you change the browser font size, but stuff with sizes defined in a different way will change. Also AFAIK, most text sizes in this board are defined using px, but I remember a time a few months ago where it seemed half and half, which made stuff look really weird if you changed the browser font size. I dunno if there is some sloppiness with different text being sized in different ways, but it seems like this would be the cause of the problem. I vote using px all the way, because then the size will be constant, only dependent on the screen resolution.

I have noticed that when things are sized not using px that they will look odd on Linux, cuz it sizes things differently than other stuff... but a pixel is a pixel, no matter what OS you use.

There was actually a huge discussion/argument that subBlue was a part of, deciding how the text sizes should be done. It seems like everyone desired a different way for this to work, from size=+1 or +2 style, to using "em", to using "pt" and everything in between. I hope that it is all done with px now, but I am not sure.

PS weird, I just tried changing the text size in the browser, and it appeared that no text sizes changed for me (using IE6), but it changed some of the line spacing for some reason.

PPS this post is rambling/running long, so I will put this request in here, and in a new post following this, so in case this post gets skimmed over, subBlue will catch it.

to subBlue: Is all of the text in the subSilver template sized using a certain technique? If so, what technique is that? Also, how does this affect the way that things appear using: different browsers, different text sizes within the browser, and different OS's?

gameofhit

subBlue, how do the text sizes work?

Post by gameofhit » Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:37 am

to subBlue: Is all of the text in the subSilver template sized using a certain technique? If so, what technique is that? Also, how does this affect the way that things appear using: different browsers, different text sizes within the browser, and different OS's?

Faejon

Post by Faejon » Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:46 am

Well check your temp internet folder for 2 files. subSilver.css and formIE.css. I checked both these files and it seems that font sizes for posts are set at 12 px. The class is postbody. As far as font faces I think I saw 3 Verdana (for just about everything), Trebuchet MS (for main title otherwise Verdana), and Courier (for code).

Does that answer your question?
Faejon Dorunrun
Captain / Webmaster
Battle Cry of Terris-Thule

an Everquest guild

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”