How do Convertors work?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
X

How do Convertors work?

Post by X »

I'm planning to convert my iB3.01 MySQL to phpBB2, but I'm afraid of something to go wrong. Maybe if I knew how this stuff works, then it'll calm me down. Is it dangerous to do this? Especially when I don't at all know how to code PHP and such. I can install things pretty easily, but don't understand the coding whatsoever.

Monster

Post by Monster »

At the moment there is no converter for that.

My best suggestion would be to wait a few weeks-months. I spoke to the guy whos making the converter and its apparently not going well...

If you don't mind losing posts/members restart your forums. I did it and my foruyms were better then ever after converting to phpBB

X

Post by X »

That's alright. I really don't mind the wait. I'm just curious on how convertors work. Do they just make a copy of the database but change the table names and reconfigure it for phpBB or what? 8O

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

I suppose you could say they make "copies", but often they also destroy the old data, so you should always make a backup first.
super fun rainbow colour sig

X

Post by X »

Oh okay, no worries then. My iB let's me export the database. :D

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 »

Most converters work by:
  1. Changing the structure of the data, if possible (if on another medium almost impossible). An analogy: If you had a cabinet made out of clay, and you were to completely rearrange it, it would be the same as adding/removing/moving clay around without touching anything inside it.
  2. Getting all the data, converting it in the script, then inserting it back. An analogy: If you had a cabinet, and you were to rearrange it, you would take out everything inside and put them back the way you want it.
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!

X

Post by X »

Ah interesting. Thanks for explaining... in that way. :P

Chicological

What about the DBM-Version of Ikonboard ?

Post by Chicological »

What about the DBM-version of Ikonboard ? How is it going with this converter ? I need to get rid of this Ikonboardsoftware, that´s why i´m interested in it. Any news here ?

Thnx & CU
Chico

JamesOff

Post by JamesOff »

My quick-and-dirty converter for openBB worked like this:

For each user, read the data, apply the bbcode stuff to sigs, write into phpBB's user table.

Get the categories out of the openBB table and write into phpBB's category table. While doing this, create an array mapping old IDs to new ones.

For each category in turn, get the forums out and write them into phpBB's forums table, using the categories array to transform the parent categories. While doing this, create an array mapping old forum IDs to new ones.

For each forum, get the topics in it, and write them into phpBB's topics table, using the forums array to transform the parent forums. While doing this, have a cup of coffee to try to get rid of headache, and also create an array mapping old to new.

For each topic, get the posts in it, and write them into phpBB's posts and posts_text tables, running the bbcode functions on them as you go.

Finally, run the sync() code on each forum to make sure the details displayed on the front page and in the topic lists are up-to-date.

Have another coffee.

And relax.

My converter doesn't destroy data at all (in fact, it'll probably get confused if you don't have a blank phpBB database when it's converting stuff :)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”