Email does not get checked at registration?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
marsl

Email does not get checked at registration?

Post by marsl » Mon Sep 10, 2001 9:51 am

Again. Bug or feature?

It looks like that there is no email validation in the user registration. A user who entered a not vaild address would never receive a confírmation mail.

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn » Mon Sep 10, 2001 9:53 am

Thats the point.. if you have validiation turned on people who don't put in valid addresses can't join.

If a user makes a mistake in their email address the admin can activate the account by hand..
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

marsl

Post by marsl » Mon Sep 10, 2001 10:10 am

If a user makes a mistake in their email address the admin can activate the account by hand..

Well ok. But it would be easier to the user and the Admin if there is an email "spell check" that checks the email for "anything allowed here" @ "domain" "dot" "anything allowed here".

So then i only have to check those users who entered a wrong address and not a misspelled. I don´t talk about a DNS check or something. Just "spelling".

AndreStarTrek

Post by AndreStarTrek » Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:13 pm

You cant make a spell checker for a mail. Because it is all names, so the only thing that can be checked is if there is a @.
Live Long and Prosper
HomePage Star Trek DATABASE
HomePage The Hacked Board Release Board

AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB » Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:26 pm

Andre,

You are highly mistaken!

I have a function that does the:

"anything allowed here" @ "domain" "dot" "anything allowed here"

validation. It works like a charm, and next to checking for valid server (which I have a function that will do that too) this is the best way to validate an email.

Personally, I think the whole idea of -not- doing an email validation is crazy!

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:42 pm

Two points ... firstly if someone is out to deceive an email validation system they'll input a syntactically correct email address ... just not a valid one.

Secondly doing an MX lookup tells you nothing more than the server exists (or may exist ...), it doesn't tell you if the user exists on that server. It's a falacy to believe you can fully check an email address without actually sending something to it and asking for a response. Which is of course what we do with email activation.

Incorporating a simple preg check can be done in seconds, it's not exactly complex programming ...

marsl

Post by marsl » Mon Sep 10, 2001 3:11 pm

Incorporating a simple preg check can be done in seconds, it's not exactly complex programming ...

Thats all I am asking for. A simple preg check. There are enough users out there who are not able to type a syntactically correct email address (Look at all those AOL users) :-). I think everyone running a site made this experience.

Those Users will never know what they made wrong and why the will never receive a email from the system.

njivy

Post by njivy » Mon Sep 10, 2001 3:39 pm

A little Javascript may do the trick as well. That would take the strain off the server.

:idea:

AndreStarTrek

Post by AndreStarTrek » Mon Sep 10, 2001 3:55 pm

wrote:
Andre,

You are highly mistaken!

I have a function that does the:

"anything allowed here" @ "domain" "dot" "anything allowed here"

validation. It works like a charm, and next to checking for valid server (which I have a function that will do that too) this is the best way to validate an email.

Personally, I think the whole idea of -not- doing an email validation is crazy!

Well he is talking about a SPELL checker not a server host checker. Or do I mis samething here?
Live Long and Prosper
HomePage Star Trek DATABASE
HomePage The Hacked Board Release Board

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Mon Sep 10, 2001 4:07 pm

He's looking for a check of well formedness, ie. ^.*?@[a-z0-9]+\.[a-z0-9]+(\.[a-z0-9]+)*$

Faejon

Email Validation

Post by Faejon » Tue Sep 11, 2001 12:16 am

Well I think that if you checked for the existance of the server you will take care of both problems. I know that the existance of the server doesn't garantee that the person receives mail there. That is why I use a double opt in validation. At least if the enter an incorrect domain name they are stopped before it is submitted and warned of that fact. Saves me the trouble of deleting all those accounts that were never activated.
Faejon Dorunrun
Captain / Webmaster
Battle Cry of Terris-Thule

an Everquest guild

Faejon

Email Validation

Post by Faejon » Tue Sep 11, 2001 12:16 am

Well I think that if you checked for the existance of the server you will take care of both problems. I know that the existance of the server doesn't garantee that the person receives mail there. That is why I use a double opt in validation. At least if the enter an incorrect domain name they are stopped before it is submitted and warned of that fact. Saves me the trouble of deleting all those accounts that were never activated.
Faejon Dorunrun
Captain / Webmaster

an Everquest guild

Faejon

Sorry Can't delete double post

Post by Faejon » Tue Sep 11, 2001 12:20 am

Sorry I got an error that I had no email address set when I uncheck notify on reply.
Faejon Dorunrun
Captain / Webmaster

an Everquest guild

guitarist809

Post by guitarist809 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:42 pm

geez, this is an old forum!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”