Is anybody home? Can someone please help me?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
ericv8

Is anybody home? Can someone please help me?

Post by ericv8 » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:24 am

Third attempt... (once via PM to Ashe, and once by another post... now edited, and moved here) I thought XMB was hard to get help with! I will try again :-)
Ashe wrote:
  • XMB (I already have a converter for 1.11d -don't ask why-, one day 1.5RC36 wil be deemed stable :lol:)

NO IT WONT!! lol

For all intents and purposes XMB is dead in the water. Some are trying to keep it afloat, but I want no part of it anymore.

Ashe, I have private messaged you here with no luck, that is the only reason I am now replying to this thread. PLEASE reply to me... I have XMB 1.11d at www.SegerNet.com/xmb/index.php and also at www.BereavedParents.com/xmb/index.php and I DESPERATELY want to upgrade to phpBB

Can I PLEASE have this converter? I dont care if I have to upgrade from XMB 1.11d to phpBB 1.4 and THEN to phpBB2**... I just want out of XMB without losing my data, if at all possible.

**Would doing a conversion from XMB1.11d to phpBB1.4 and then to phpBB2 (or straight to phpBB2?) be less stable and more troublesome than it is worth? If this is too much trouble I could just keep the old XMB board up on the server for awhile as reference and direct all users to start using the new board. Is this a better solution? Please advise.

I made up my mind to come to your board. I checked out several others and it had come down to phpBB and YabbSE. phpBB won out with me because it seems faster and is definitely easier to navigate. Also I have been reading your forums and see that version 2.2 will add some "neat" features, which is what was making me consider YabbSE in the first place. phpBB is a terrific overall board.

Thanks in advance for your prompt reply so that I can immediately convert my XMB 1.11d to your forum. Either directly to phpBB2 or in steps with phpBB1.4... either way.. Please advise.

Regards,
Eric

PS... most of the people who were with XMB for awhile never got past 1.11d, because the 1.5 upgrade script was a known board killer.

ebird

Post by ebird » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:49 am

Just curious, how much did you pay to remove the copyright info at the bottom?

ericv8

WHY DO I ONLY GET QUESTIONS TO MY QUESTIONS??

Post by ericv8 » Fri Feb 15, 2002 6:12 am

Why do my questions here only spawn more questions and never answers?

:SIGH:

XMB as we knew it is DEAD... there is no longer any reason to leave a link to a dead site, or to a site which will create a different product... if and when it comes back (depending on all of the splinter groups** popping up) ...it will have different names, different links, etc..

I dont know if this is a "real" term, but one of the "new" XMB websites (run by former devs) has classified existing XMB scripts as "abandonware" and stated there is no remaining rightsholder to the script... As is the practice with these individual splinter groups, we are now free to remove or modify these links. So to answer your question I did not pay a dime. (PS I dont appreciate your insinuation, check your facts first next time please... )

Not that it matters, but go ahead... try the link I removed, www.xmbforum.com (as of right now it still is not working)... if XMB ever comes back to life and I still am using one of their rightful scripts, I'll gladly put their link back on.

But as for now, can you or anyone PLEASE answer my questions?? Or do I need to look elsewhere? Great board, but help has been SORELY lacking (in my experience thus far at least).

Trying again....
Sincerely,
Eric

---------------------------------------
**Some samples:

From www.codemill.org
xmb 2.0 (my version) will live on. It will not carry the xmb name, but rather codemill instead.. CMForums 1.0 will most likely be its codename.

From www.xmbforum.tk
the closest XMB had to a license was a claim to being dev leader. Nick originally had it, but then gave it to Revres. Now that XMB is gone, it could be termed 'abandonware' which means we'll probably be able to modify and/or make new versions of the XMB software with no problems
I'm glad XMB is still alive in this forum, but I'm a little confused. It looks like several people are going to go off and continue XMB in their own little groups? What does this mean? 3 or 4 different versions of XMB by different groups? I really hope we can somehow group up again and get XMB on track again......

From http://www.digitaloracle.net/forums/vie ... hp?tid=324
Just so nobody gets any misconceptions, Richard does not own the xmb script. The original script is now public domain.
Last edited by ericv8 on Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

ericv8

Post by ericv8 » Fri Feb 15, 2002 6:48 am

ebird wrote: Just curious, how much did you pay to remove the copyright info at the bottom?

Just curious if you have Hef's written permission to use and modify his trademarked logo since Playboy Magazine is still in operation and has exclusive rights to that image? :roll:

ericv8

Post by ericv8 » Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:27 am

Let me clarify what I am asking since the issue has probably been very confused by now:
Can I PLEASE have this converter? I dont care if I have to upgrade from XMB 1.11d to phpBB 1.4 and THEN to phpBB2**... I just want out of XMB without losing my data, if at all possible.

**Would doing a conversion from XMB1.11d to phpBB1.4 and then to phpBB2 (or straight to phpBB2?) be less stable and more troublesome than it is worth? If this is too much trouble I could just keep the old XMB board up on the server for awhile as reference and direct all users to start using the new board. Is this a better solution? Please advise.

This was in response to Ashe saying he has a 1.11d to phpBB converter.
Why is this so difficult to answer?

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:57 pm

You might look for a XMB -> VBulletin or Ikonboard Converter. There is at least one Ikonboard 2.x converter already available by hsim.

Read this post for more information. I however do not know if there is an XMB -> Ikonboard 2.x Converter available.

I say again, Ikonbaord 2.x, not 3.x.

BTW, I moved this to the correct forum.

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:00 pm

ericv8 wrote: This was in response to Ashe saying he has a 1.11d to phpBB converter.
Why is this so difficult to answer?

BTW, Ashe hasn't posted to this forum since 28. Nov 2001.

hsim

Post by hsim » Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:58 pm

me thinks 'im is not going to support copyright removers, neither if they remove it from phpBB nor from xmb, so
of course if they explicitly allow you to remove it, sorry I didn't know.
email me: hsim at gmx.li

ericv8

Post by ericv8 » Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:29 pm

hsim wrote: me thinks 'im is not going to support copyright removers, neither if they remove it from phpBB nor from xmb, so
of course if they explicitly allow you to remove it, sorry I didn't know.

::::SIGH::::

I am NOT a "copyright remover"... I am a dead link remover! Please advise me as which of the many XMB groups that I currently know of should I link my boards to so that I may be in compliance with you and get some support here? Maybe you missed some of the quotes I provided with links back to all the XMB madness? Here is the link I removed... try it again if you want www.xmbfomum.com ... it has been dead for days now!

I only took that off a few days ago because I was told there is no longer any official XMB rightsholders nor is there any official suppport for my forum. (And Sorry, but I hate dead links) Any future releases would come from various sources and may not be compatible with one another and each would have their own varying copyright links, and even different forum names. So how would YOU suggest I handle this?

And while we are at it, please show me the releases phpBB has obtained to provide users of this board various copyrighted and trademarked images to be used here as avatars? hmmm? </see how it feels(?) comment>

TRANSLATION: I resent the notion I am being branded a "cheat". In fact, I find that to be quite indignant and hypocritical. I conduct myself honestly and ethically and I am TRYING as hard as I know how to get some real help to accomplish a move to a better and supported forum software product.

Until I started posting here for help, I thought I had found my solution. Now I am not so sure. My experience thus far is that you guys are, in general, very long on witty and sarcastic replies, and in replies that do NOT address the question posed, and often seek to create more problems than there are!

If I seem to be getting a bit short, I apologize... but I dont think I have asked for any miracles here. It just gets very frustrating to see a solution to your problems and having to try OVER and OVER again to get some real help. Please look up my post history and see the ridiculous effort I have had to make to TRY to get any help here. And yes, beginning when I still had the almighty broken link still attached to my boards.

Sincerely,
Eric
The "I'd love to have a forum to link to with copyright notices attached" guy...

PS.. This post is not meant for you dhn... thank you for trying to help me.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:47 pm

I'm sorry that you have trouble getting help. Probably the main reason is that nobody can help, so nobody replies. The developers farmed out the converter projects, and it appears that some of the converters are not yet available, or the people who volunteered have dropped the ball.

So dhn's suggestion is a path to follow. Conversion of the current XMB data to a format where a converter does exist.

And don't be too hard on hsim for guarding the copyright thing pretty carefully. This has been a problem in the past, and at one point it got pretty serious and put the whole phpBB project in question. So I see why you are frustrated (a dead link is useless, but an unlinked copyright is not), but I also see why hsim is careful.

Please don't get the impression we don't care. It's not that. We're just people like you doing the best we can with the time and knowledge we have.

hartlijn

post from another XMB user

Post by hartlijn » Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:57 pm

Expect some more old-XMB-users to come here. Support of XMB (it is not clear IF it exists and WHO owns it) is lacking.

I also want to switch to phpBB2 and if possible convert my XMB 1.5RC5 to phpbb2. The thing is that there many different versions of xmb out there i guess.

It would be very nice to get a convertor for this tho.

ericv8

Post by ericv8 » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:23 pm

SamG wrote: So dhn's suggestion is a path to follow. Conversion of the current XMB data to a format where a converter does exist.

OK... Thank you!! Silly question... do things get unstable in the process of converting board to board to board? In other words, are there any risks of winding up with a "bad board" if I (for example) convert from XMB 1.11d to Ikonboard 2.0 to phpBB1.4 and then finally to phpBB2?

My other option is simply archiving my old board for awhile and directing users to the new board. At this point I simply want to know from a technical and practical standpoint the realities of converting to your board in several steps like this would evidentally require..
And don't be too hard on hsim for guarding the copyright thing pretty carefully. This has been a problem in the past, and at one point it got pretty serious and put the whole phpBB project in question. So I see why you are frustrated (a dead link is useless, but an unlinked copyright is not), but I also see why hsim is careful.

You have a good point. I have no problem with copyright notices, even to non-existent entities... So I put back the "Powered by" statement with no link. I trust that will demonstrate my good faith. I understand any concern that I may have simply done this to not give proper credit to XMB. I assure you this was not the case.
Please don't get the impression we don't care. It's not that. We're just people like you doing the best we can with the time and knowledge we have.

I can see that alot of time and effort and love has gone into this project. I just want to become a part of it! I guess the tone for me was set when I first posted and received some genuinely assinine replies from coasters2k.

So please, I guess my only remaining question is do things get unstable in the process of converting board to board to board? In other words, are there any risks of winding up with a "bad board" if I (for example) convert from XMB 1.11d to Ikonboard 2.0 to phpBB1.4 and then finally to phpBB2?... or am I better off opening a fresh board linked to my old archived board?

Any help/advice in this regard would be very appreciated.

Sincerely
Eric

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:34 pm

It seems like issues have come up here and there with some conversions (not necessarily an XMB conversion), especially with regard to post dates. And it seems like some solutions were worked out here and there. But as you can see I'm not real sure. It's my memory ...

If it were me, I would give it a try. I really would. If you can, set up a test forum (since we're still in the RC stage, that's not a bad idea anyway) and do the conversions. See what you end up with. If nothing else, if the people who are supposed to be doing the converters don't or can't, we end up knowing what the problems are and (hopefully!) what the solutions are for an indirect conversion. I realize this means a lot of work for you, but maybe it'll be worth it for the sake of XMB community ... ? They'll hail you as a pioneer :D

ericv8

Post by ericv8 » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:46 pm

Ok... but at what price? Do I risk my original data? I have always been with XMB and I honestly do not know what conversion entails. Wont my data be put at risk with each conversion? I mean, even if I back it up, I dont have XMB v1.11d to go back to anymore...

Or is conversion a process that retains your original board and data while cocurrently creating a new one? (Sorry I am not a php/mysql pro, as you can tell)

Am I misguided or thinking wrong? Please advise... (PS... your effort is appreciated)
Last edited by ericv8 on Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hsim

Post by hsim » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:49 pm

if there is a XMB => iKonBoard v2 Convertor I'd encourage you to use it and then import the created datafiles with the iB 2 => phpBB2 convertor.
The loss of information should be minimal, but there shouldn't be any compatibility problem. btw: you'll need to run up(gr|d)a[dt]e_to_RC3\.php after the data has been imported successful if you're going to use CVS/RC3

Nathing should get unstable when using multiple convertors. If you can manage to convert XMB to iB2 I'd be glad to help you on any problems during the iB2 dtabase => phpBB2 conversion.

Sorry for sounding rude in my first post, thay say it's because I'm german ;)

[EDIT, NEW]
Is XMB database based? I think so. If you get hold of an XMB => iB 2 converter it won't destroy anything since it'll create text files and not alter the database in any way
email me: hsim at gmx.li

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”