Patch Help Please

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
bamavamp

Patch Help Please

Post by bamavamp » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:34 am

I am attempting to use the patch file to upgrade from 2.0.22 to 2.0.23. I have downloaded all files via FTP to my c:\php folder and have put the phpBB-2.0.22_to_2.0.23.patch in my c: .
I have tried 100 different ways using MS Dos to get the patch file to run and I keep getting this error:
'patch' is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

I have used EditPlus to convert the phpBB-2.0.22_to_2.0.23.patch to PC and also to UNIX and neither of these work. I end up with the same error as above or either 'the system cannot find the file specified' error.
the command prompt I am typing in is:
C:\>patch -cl -d phpBB2 -p1 < phpBB-2.0.22_to_2.0.23.patch

I cannot get this to work for the life of me, so I hope someone has some ideas on how to help. Thanks in advance!

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Re: Patch Help Please

Post by Noxwizard » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:53 am

Is the patch.exe file in your C:\?
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:18 am

this is not how you do it at all.

the patch file is only if you have command line access to your server and know how to use it.

you most likely just need the MOD style of updating.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

bamavamp

Post by bamavamp » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:38 pm

Yes the patch is in my c:\ I would not have done it that way had I not read other threads here that said it was the way to do it and it actually work.
We have command line access. Our forum is hosted through hostgator and our domain is with yahoo. We also use CuteFTP. We have a heavily modded board, with at least 30 or more mods, we are not using subsilver and doing it manually would take forever. I will just try to figure it out myself or ask hostgator.

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:10 pm

bamavamp wrote:Yes the patch is in my c:\ I would not have done it that way had I not read other threads here that said it was the way to do it and it actually work.
What "other threads"?
The patch method is ONLY for running on your server, it uses a Unix utility so it won't run on MSDOS.
We have command line access. Our forum is hosted through hostgator and our domain is with yahoo. We also use CuteFTP. We have a heavily modded board, with at least 30 or more mods, we are not using subsilver and doing it manually would take forever. I will just try to figure it out myself or ask hostgator.
It's only 20 minutes of hand editing on an unmodified board. If yours is that heavily modified, then no automated method is going to work anyway, you are going to have to find the equivalent sections when there is a MOD in the middle of a bit you have to find.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”